AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK - so found this "ingot' (under the sand / seabed) on a previously worked site (some items here from early 1700's) - I cleaned all the encrustation of it (basically by leaving it in a bucket of acid for a few weeks!) and was surprised how "shiny" it is?
Could it be tarnished or oxidized silver?

so how to test for lead or silver? I am quite remote here so don't have an acid test.

I did the "ice test" and you can see the results after 8 minutes, and the difference between the 2 cubes. not conclusive I know!

Not scratchable with a knife either?

thanks for any advice.

IMGP1698.JPGIMGP1699.JPGIMGP1700.JPGIMGP1701.JPGIMGP1702.JPGIMGP1703.JPG

Thanks!

now even MORE confused.........!:dontknow:

Upvote 0
it may be a sacrificial anti corrosion zinc anode.a long time part on every boat hull,rudder,outboard motor etc.they come in hundreds of shapes..

images (3).jpg...images (4).jpg...images (5).jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
corrosion attacks the anode instead of the metal object it is attached to.ie sacrificial.Every boat that you have ever been aboard is likely to have had at least one

Upvote 0
corrosion attacks the anode instead of the metal object it is attached to.ie sacrificial.Every boat that you have ever been aboard is likely to have had at least one

thanks! good info. what date would these have come into use? as early as mid 1700's?

thanks again

Upvote 0
You need to cut a corner bit off to get to true, pure metal. Once there, put some common, yellow mustard (the cheap French's works best) on the metal for a few minutes then wash it and see what happens. If it's lead, nothing will happen. If it's silver it will turn dark because silver loves sulfur, and there is lots of it in mustard.

Upvote 0
You need to cut a corner bit off to get to true, pure metal. Once there, put some common, yellow mustard (the cheap French's works best) on the metal for a few minutes then wash it and see what happens. If it's lead, nothing will happen. If it's silver it will turn dark because silver loves sulfur, and there is lots of it in mustard.

will try that tomorrow!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Another way smell it! Tarnished silver stinks like rotten eggs ( sulphur as last poster suggested) just rub between fingers and smell em

Upvote 0
OK - I cleaned all the encrustation of it (basically by leaving it in a bucket of acid for a few weeks!)

I am quite remote here so don't have an acid test.

Ummmm:icon_scratch: LOL

I found an ingot last year on an old farmsite that turned out to be lead and it was very malleable( like lead )

Upvote 0
It may not be very well refined 70-80% silver which would make it a lot harder to scratch , zinc anode will be pitted and corroded .

Upvote 0
thanks all!

Upvote 0
I did the "ice test" and you can see the results after 8 minutes, and the difference between the 2 cubes. not conclusive I know!

I have never heard of the "ice test".

What the heck is the ice test?

Hadn't heard of the mustard test either!

I'm a learning new stuff :)

Upvote 0
I have never heard of the "ice test".

What the heck is the ice test?

Hadn't heard of the mustard test either!

I'm a learning new stuff :)

The "ice test" is an urban legend that still goes around. It states that since silver is highly conductive, it will "conduct" the heat into the ice faster and therefore melt it at a higher rate, but it's complete BS.

Upvote 0
The "ice test" is an urban legend that still goes around. It states that since silver is highly conductive, it will "conduct" the heat into the ice faster and therefore melt it at a higher rate, but it's complete BS.

Ha! Glad you cleared that up!! I got all excited when my cube was melting....!

Upvote 0
BVI, any clues yet? If options are limited , use a BernzOmatic propane torch ( not hot enough to Melt or damage silver) but will do the trick for pewter or lead! Scrape off the black first sometimes oxides on lead will insulate good luck hope it's silver

Upvote 0
BVI, any clues yet? If options are limited , use a BernzOmatic propane torch ( not hot enough to Melt or damage silver) but will do the trick for pewter or lead! Scrape off the black first sometimes oxides on lead will insulate good luck hope it's silver

Can borrow one tomorrow - so if it melts, it's lead, if not then silver?

Upvote 0
Yes lead melts 700 pewter around 400 silver 1600

Upvote 0
We eliminate lead and pewter doesn't garentee silver

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back