AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK - so found this "ingot' (under the sand / seabed) on a previously worked site (some items here from early 1700's) - I cleaned all the encrustation of it (basically by leaving it in a bucket of acid for a few weeks!) and was surprised how "shiny" it is?
Could it be tarnished or oxidized silver?

so how to test for lead or silver? I am quite remote here so don't have an acid test.

I did the "ice test" and you can see the results after 8 minutes, and the difference between the 2 cubes. not conclusive I know!

Not scratchable with a knife either?

thanks for any advice.

IMGP1698.JPGIMGP1699.JPGIMGP1700.JPGIMGP1701.JPGIMGP1702.JPGIMGP1703.JPG

With all your amazing finds lately it wouldn't surprise me if it was silver. I hope it is for your sake! Instead of all these weird home tests... why not just order a acid test off ebay or cut off a small piece and take it to a local jeweler ? I understand why you wouldn't want to take the whole thing... they'd probably be wondering where you found it haha.

Upvote 0
With all your amazing finds lately it wouldn't surprise me if it was silver. I hope it is for your sake! Instead of all these weird home tests... why not just order a acid test off ebay or cut off a small piece and take it to a local jeweler ? I understand why you wouldn't want to take the whole thing... they'd probably be wondering where you found it haha.

I have issues shipping certain items here, such as acid.
Not sure I'd trust the local jeweler :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Little tiny bottle not marked acid , they ship worldwide , unless your so remote mail is an issue , did you try smell test yet? Silver oxide has unmistakeable rotten egg odor ! I'm not playing try with any blackens silver'

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back