Information inquiry on attached items.

HeXor99

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2019
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I was referred here from Reddit to see if anyone could give me any insight into these items. There seems to be a lot of interest in the bottom groove of the axe head and despite recognizing it's oddity, I never sought out information on the axe itself regarding it's use, era, tribe, and so on.

I found the axe in 2006 in a field in far Western Franklin County Ohio. The gorget piece was found in 2014 several feet away from the axe but on the opposite side of a small creek. Several other item we're found in close proximity and many, many others throughout the extent of the property. Most others were worked pieces of flint and a lot of points or various sizes and condition.

The creek these two were found along runs west into a much larger creek (Big Darby Creek) and is relatively close, roughly 400-600 yards. If any additional information is needed please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_20170830_092927013.jpg
    IMG_20170830_092927013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20170830_092914577.jpg
    IMG_20170830_092914577.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20170830_092851688.jpg
    IMG_20170830_092851688.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
Very nice!!! All of us would love to see your other artifacts!! And welcome to TNET!!! There are several members here who may be able to answer your questions, just stick around a while.

Very nice 3/4 Grooved Axe. The groove on the bottom assisted in the hafting process and is sometimes referred to as a Fluted Axe.

Last edited:
We recently sold the property and I no longer have access to search it unfortunately.

Last edited:
One pretty axe , it looks familiar for some reason ?? You’ve never posted t here before or someone you know maybe ?

Nice 3/4 groove. I don't think I could've sold a piece of property producing stuff like that!

Last edited:
No this is my first time on treasurenet. I did have this posted on my Facebook until I recently deactivated my account. Then of course Reddit yesterday.

The year I found it I took it to the Archeology Society of Ohio's annual meeting but other than that it's only been in my collection and my Grandfather's.

Times have changed and the heirs are closing down business. Wasn't a decision I really had a say in unfortunately.

That's not a 3/4 groove. Look again. That's a full groove. 3/4 grooves are flat across the whole bottom. First full groove I've ever seen with a groove on the bottom like a 3/4 groove has. Unusual. It looks to me like someone made a full groove and later someone added the bottom groove. A wedge was jammed into the bottom groove to keep it tight in the mount. Here's a pic of a 3/4 groove axe. Notice the flat bottom. Gary

3 quarter groove axe.jpg

Last edited:
That's an unusual and beautiful find, and it's true that most fluted axes are 3/4 groove. They are also often grooved on the face of the axe blade as well, as in this example from Wisconsin, a state noted for fluted axes...

That's an unusual and beautiful find, and it's true that most fluted axes are 3/4 groove. They are also often grooved on the face of the axe blade as well, as in this example from Wisconsin, a state noted for fluted axes...

That’s a awesome axe, I get how the flute on the bottom would help with hafting but was there a function for fluting on the blade other than maybe weight reduction ?

That's not a 3/4 groove. Look again. That's a full groove. 3/4 grooves are flat across the whole bottom. First full groove I've ever seen with a groove on the bottom like a 3/4 groove has. Unusual. It looks to me like someone made a full groove and later someone added the bottom groove. A wedge was jammed into the bottom groove to keep it tight in the mount. Here's a pic of a 3/4 groove axe. Notice the flat bottom. Gary

View attachment 1682805

Good catch. I have seen it before with Ohio axes, but hadn’t really noticed it was a full groove.

A friend of mine used to rent an old farmhouse on Darby Creek near Orient. He found a lot of artifacts in the nearby fields. A 3/4 axe he found was the nicest one I had seen until I saw your find. It is really a great axe.

That’s a awesome axe, I get how the flute on the bottom would help with hafting but was there a function for fluting on the blade other than maybe weight reduction ?

I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I just knew that it was a feature of Wisconsin fluted axes. Hopefully, someone can answer that....

No one really knows for sure why some axe's were fluted or the purpose of flutes, it is lost in history.

A friend of mine used to rent an old farmhouse on Darby Creek near Orient. He found a lot of artifacts in the nearby fields. A 3/4 axe he found was the nicest one I had seen until I saw your find. It is really a great axe.

Y'all got me considering driving 6 1/2 hours to Orient to check out that creek in hopes of finding a killer Axe ha ha

Wow very interesting stuff folks, thank you for the feedback!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back