Indian Trade Silver scoop

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
This is not a metal detecting find, but an eBay scoop that my son found. The seller was listing an estate sale that had a lot of high end jewelry, including a number of Memento Mori rings that sold for several thousand dollars each. This went more or less unnoticed and sold to my son for $100.00

IMG_3469.jpg
IMG_3470.jpg

Now I am more than aware of fakes on eBay, but this just looks right. It is definitely old silver, it has the correct size and shape. I see no trace of rotary tools used to do the engraving, all was done by hand.

IMG_3473.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg

I cannot find any info on the hallmarks, but this is likely an 18th century North American silversmith and details are scant on them, at least to my knowledge. There would not be the standard British hallmarks.

IMG_3471.jpg

Also, aiding my thoughts that it is authentic is the amount of wear on the silver suspension loop. If it was a modern copy I cannot imagen that it would be silver or this worn

IMG_3475.jpg
IMG_3477.jpg

I was at the National Gallery in Ottawa a couple of months past and they have a large display of these, ranging from very small to huge. This is on the larger end, but far from huge. It would fit nicely in the group

IMG_3476.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg

So, is it real? I think so, but I am interested in any opinions. If it is real, what's it worth?

Attachments

• IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread