incredible discovery at late 1700s site need help identifying please!

Anasazi

May 5, 2012
Ocean Park WA
Detector(s) used
Main detectors XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Anfibio multi, Tesoro Sand Shark

used in the past but not forgotten
Sov Elite
SE Pro
Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Teknetics Mark 1 LTD coin computer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

PNWScot​

and I had a great 4th ! spent the day recovering history. He found this cannon. no trunnions or makers marks. Looks like it was over loaded and burst in antiquity. any information you all have would be appreciated.

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    64 KB · Views: 183
  • download (2).png
    download (2).png
    60.8 KB · Views: 138
  • download (3).png
    download (3).png
    54.2 KB · Views: 137
  • download (4).png
    download (4).png
    36.8 KB · Views: 143
  • download (5).png
    download (5).png
    43.4 KB · Views: 145
  • download (6).png
    download (6).png
    47.9 KB · Views: 145
  • download.png
    download.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 37
lol... your funny :P... but good :)
Definitely FLINT.
Till the lock is inspected , I don't know what method of ignition was used.

We have site context from O.P.'s dating.
Certainly leans towards flint.
But what transpired since the given sites date on site; and if anyone later added a drum to a flintlock (and such conversions happened) I'm being conservative on guessing.
Locating the lock and missing parts would make confirming speculation much better.

PNWScot​

and I had a great 4th ! spent the day recovering history. He found this cannon. no trunnions or makers marks. Looks like it was over loaded and burst in antiquity. any information you all have would be appreciated.
Very cool find! is the round still lodged in barrel? IDing the type of projectile might help approximate age and use..?

Thanks guys. It’s a special site my Buddy and I are going to be detecting there for a bit😂. Found this odd piece of brass. Thought it may be a jaw screw, only a couple threads at the top tappering down to the end about an 1 1/4” long.
IMG_1560.jpeg

Thanks guys. It’s a special site my Buddy and I are going to be detecting there for a bit😂. Found this odd piece of brass. Thought it may be a jaw screw, only a couple threads at the top tappering down to the end about an 1 1/4” long. View attachment 2092386
Hmmm... awfully resembles a "jaw screw".... i wonder... if stripped out from piece when failure.

my thoughts exactly.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
Here are two of what I was told was 'Man Killer Rounds'. I dug these in the Presidio of Monterey back in 1979-1980. These were both found in an area where the muzzle portion of a bronze cannon was found as well as a handful of assorted round ball bullets and early US Marine Corps and US Army two piece and US Navy one piece buttons. The battle of the Presidio of Monterey was a cake walk in the end as the US troops just walked in and took over the fort. I tend to wonder as I have searched the area around the high ground and have found many relics of the Mexican War era. I realize that many of the items are pre-Civil War and post WWI and even a few WWII items. The site was a total mix of everything under the sun. The one thing that I regret is that I did not have a better detector at the time. I was using was a Compass Judge 1. It was a better detector that the original detector I had which was a Jetco Mustang, a simple BFO detector! LOL ;-)

Attachments

• 20230430_163110.jpg
    20230430_163110.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 17
View attachment 2092260View attachment 2092261View attachment 2092262View attachment 2092263View attachment 2092264View attachment 2092265View attachment 2092266View attachment 2092267View attachment 2092268
2 1814 Wellington Half Penny token Bank of Canada found 3 years apart holes at the same time same place same square nail😂 wild. 1871 S half dime 3 general service buttons a US belt plate and miscellaneous musket balls and smalls. Incredible 4th of July!
Great stuff! I'm so jealous!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back