incredible discovery at late 1700s site need help identifying please!

Anasazi

May 5, 2012
Ocean Park WA
Detector(s) used
Main detectors XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Anfibio multi, Tesoro Sand Shark

used in the past but not forgotten
Sov Elite
SE Pro
Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Teknetics Mark 1 LTD coin computer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

PNWScot​

and I had a great 4th ! spent the day recovering history. He found this cannon. no trunnions or makers marks. Looks like it was over loaded and burst in antiquity. any information you all have would be appreciated.

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    64 KB · Views: 183
  • download.png
    download.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 140
  • download (6).png
    download (6).png
    47.9 KB · Views: 145
  • download (5).png
    download (5).png
    43.4 KB · Views: 145
  • download (4).png
    download (4).png
    36.8 KB · Views: 143
  • download (3).png
    download (3).png
    54.2 KB · Views: 137
  • download (2).png
    download (2).png
    60.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 37
71022323022__CFAE17B2-7EA7-41AE-A248-4B2FF7C951A2.jpeg
71022345708__F85C2928-52EE-4150-926F-BD2FB38883D8.jpeg
IMG_2531.jpeg
71019087922__B13270EC-FDEA-4620-AFD5-4F3D8E04588A.jpeg
IMG_2524.jpeg
71000666598__BC6C0573-5685-4947-BC8D-88C8EFD148DA.jpeg
71000661597__2E6B2414-BD0F-4EA8-A779-DB4113C898BD.jpeg
71001335770__86D580FF-905D-4401-BED1-0F578F887A2C.jpeg
71000656568__E060CA9D-9F40-4382-8FA5-CE7C25AAD13B.jpeg

2 1814 Wellington Half Penny token Bank of Canada found 3 years apart holes at the same time same place same square nail😂 wild. 1871 S half dime 3 general service buttons a US belt plate and miscellaneous musket balls and smalls. Incredible 4th of July!

Last edited:
My finds however great kind of pale in comparison to my Buddies cannon. Very happy for him.

So...
IMO you did not find a cannon... well even though they are often referred to as one.
What you have found... errr... or your buddy has found... is much much rarer.

Amazing finds ... well done.

Here is what i think your buddy found part of... well similar / along the lines of...
A type of blunderbuss... AKA "Deck gun"... AKA "Hand cannon".
Although the picture appears to be a smaller version or at least looks like a smaller version... it is in fact what you have found.
100% my opinion of what you guys found.

The following picture is a British Naval version of what was found.

H2037-L307797349.jpg

My buddy is

PNWScot​

thank you very much! I was leaning toward that with that round bit and no trunnions.

Last edited:

PNWScot​

and I had a great 4th ! spent the day recovering history. He found this cannon. no trunnions or makers marks. Looks like it was over loaded and burst in antiquity. any information you all have would be appreciated.
Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!

Personally i would return and detect the heck out of it looking for the rest or / some of the other pieces.
The carnage that must have caused when it blew,.. whoever was holding the blunderbuss must have lost his head.....or the men next to him...

with holed lug in downward position to pin barrel in place , the barrel burst to the left , opposite most touch hole sides.
The breech likely was tanged and secured at it's rear.
Evidence of a threaded breech plug is thin. But lines can be seen hinting a thin threading existed(?) Hard telling from the picture.

Flint or percussion? Can't tell really though pins can hint of older builds. Not always though.

IF the breech plug was threaded thin it could have given way. Or it could have gotten corroded through neglect or a foul weather event ?
I'm not seeing a match to the barrel in a quick search . And not knowing model/builder or ignition type it's a guess as to what the breech might have looked like.
Again , likely secured with a lug to the rear of the breech.
Pics I'm seeing are short looking plug potentials.
(The threaded inside part can't go past the hole you ignite the powder through.)
The rear of the breechplug might have remained attached to the stock when the barrel failed and blew out to the left.

If this picture survives the holed rear of plug has a fastener in it.
phpThumb.php

with holed lug in downward position to pin barrel in place , the barrel burst to the left , opposite most touch hole sides.
The breech likely was tanged and secured at it's rear.
Evidence of a threaded breech plug is thin. But lines can be seen hinting a thin threading existed(?) Hard telling from the picture.

Flint or percussion? Can't tell really though pins can hint of older builds. Not always though.

IF the breech plug was threaded thin it could have given way. Or it could have gotten corroded through neglect or a foul weather event ?
I'm not seeing a match to the barrel in a quick search . And not knowing model/builder or ignition type it's a guess as to what the breech might have looked like.
Again , likely secured with a lug to the rear of the breech.
Pics I'm seeing are short looking plug potentials.
(The threaded inside part can't go past the hole you ignite the powder through.)
The rear of the breechplug might have remained attached to the stock when the barrel failed and blew out to the left.

If this picture survives the holed rear of plug has a fastener in it.
phpThumb.php
lol... your funny :P... but good :)
Definitely FLINT.

Ps... things like these were faded out before caps.
PSS... to me ... Cap / aka percussion ... is "modern" :P

Last edited:
The carnage that must have caused when it blew,.. whoever was holding the blunderbuss must have lost his head.....or the men next to him...
Definitely wouldn't have wanted to be holding OR anywhere near that thing when it went.
I am sure at least one was.. AT MINIMUM... maimed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back