In search of historian...who was Antonio de Ergueta?

erguetagirl

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have come to the right place. I chuckle, because my father and I have had an interest in coins and stamps (his is much more than mine), and he has never told me the story of how the first "Erguetas" came to Bolivia until today. I have been trying to uncover the branches of the family tree on my paternal side for years, and have only concluded that most of my ancestors on that side were European immigrants working in the mines. It has fascinated me for a long time that for a Bolivian, I am very tall, and most of the country folk from down there constantly tell me I don't "look" Bolivian (too tall, too fair, curly hair). Anyway, today, as I was going through pictures of 5 generations of Erguetas, my father told me the first immigrants to Bolivia worked for Spain, and that they were sent to investigate fraud at the mines of Potosi. Mind you, my father is on the older side and his father is 90 years of age - neither of them are internet savvy.

Needless to say, when I began searching "fraud" "Potosi" "Spain" "Ergueta", I was completely blown away that my ancestor appears on a list of assayers from the 1600's and left quite an impression on the world of coins. While I try to confirm things about my ancestry, can anyone direct me to a biography about this de Ergueta? Are there any records about his descendants and his death, etc.?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Yes, Antonio de Ergueta worked at the Potosi mint for thirty years. His assayer initial on the cob coins produced during that time was "E". He was known to be 'highly qualified and respected".

Don....

Thanks for entertaining my question - I figured out how to post publicly (: This is a thrilling discovery, but I definitely wonder where I can learn more! Presently saving up for a purchase of one of those "E" coins - it might take me a while, but one definitely belongs in the family (if there isn't one already - I'll be checking ASAP!).

Suggest you find and read a pamphlet entitled "The Potosi Mint Scandal and Great Transition of 1652" by Dr. Sewall H. Menzel. Some time ago, that publication could be ordered through EN RADA Publications, P.O . Box 1698, West Palm Beach, Florida 33402-1698 U. S. A.

Another thought: Daniel Sedwick (Sedwick Coins. Winter Park, Florida) has sold (perhaps) thousands of Potosi coins with the "E" assayer mark. If you contact him with your 'credentials' (name), you might ask him for a 'deal' on an "E" coin in exchange for your information and signature.
Don.......

If you are really serious about research, the archives of the Council of the Indies are located in Seville, Spain. Long story short, you need to be able to read spanish or you can hire a translator. For family history, try the Catholic church records in the city in Spain where he was born, the Catholic Chancery records in the largest city close to the mines in Bolivia(he probably had an hacienda and the records will be in the nearest church to it or again in the Chancery). The archives in Mexico City may be valuable and you can try there. If you do this much research, take good notes and write a book. Your ancestor was very well known and I am quite sure that many records exist and you may be surprised at what other members of the family did. Books are fine, but they are someone else's interpretation of the work. Buena suerte senorita...

This is one of my dreams! I have only seen this done in other families and through shows like documentaries on PBS. There is no doubt that Spain was sending my descendants to the Americas in the 1500's, and I would love to trace them all (:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back