Im stumbled !!

testlab

Nov 1, 2015
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Everyone

My wife and I was I Staten Island, NY Beach looking for rocks/fossils. Then I came across this when I saw the tip in the sand after a storm. I had this for weeks now and never thought of checking it out as we just thought it was a rock shaped as a ***** lol. Today I thought to my self let me just see whats inside and when I hit it with a hammer I saw the point of it.

So far it remind me of a long nail but an old one due to the look of the iron or what ever metal it is. It was like it was cocoon around the metal object in the center. SO I kept jiggle in it until it came out. It looks what ever was around this long metal item was preserved in it because there is no rust!

As you can see it looks like a long nail. It is about 5" and looks like it was made due to the texture a long time ago.

Anyone knows anything of this item i have found. Some research in google says it is a crucifix nail, but too preserved for my agreement.

The shell that it was in was poring out like oil/dark mud. I had to scrape in the sides to get it out.

Thank you, found1.jpgfound2.jpgfound3.jpgfound4.jpgfound5.jpgfound6.jpgfound7.jpg

i can't tell you the "why" but i can tell you it is normal and common. Probably has something to do with surf and sand interaction and debris accumulation. As a kid I would break these open all the time and find similar stuff inside. If this item had been left to continue to deteriorate, the spike would eventually become a black crumbly mass.

Interesting, looks like it underwent electrolysis in the encrustation, thanks for the reply Mac.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back