I Need to Know

League

I've seen the "official" length vary between 2.12 and 3.64 statute miles, depending on which expert you choose to believe. Ignoring the nautical league altogether, another source of confusion is the existance of two land-based leagues. The "linear" league was used to mark distance traveled and was generally agreed to be about 3.1 statute miles during the Spanish conquest of the New World. The "land" league was used to measure land parcels and was generally agreed to be about 2.6 statute miles.

That said, I'd MD the vicinity looking for a piece of #4 rebar driven into the ground, 2" originally exposed. This tree blaze may well identify a control point established by a Land Surveyor (LS). Use your head boys and look for the simplest and most logical solution first.

Gyps, if it wouldn't give away too much info could you tell us what the first clue was that led you to the second one with the diamond? I was looking at some topo map symbols and the symbol for a mineshaft is a square with half of it blacked out. could your diamond symbol actually be a square but tilted to look like a diamond?

Also I just found this site about lodestone, maybe your LS means something about using a compass?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-lodestone.htm

HH Charlie

savant365 said:
Gyps, if it wouldn't give away too much info could you tell us what the first clue was that led you to the second one with the diamond? I was looking at some topo map symbols and the symbol for a mineshaft is a square with half of it blacked out. could your diamond symbol actually be a square but tilted to look like a diamond?

Also I just found this site about lodestone, maybe your LS means something about using a compass?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-lodestone.htm

HH Charlie

I would love to share this story...and all of it ....and we will....when all is said and done.....I have been working on this site for over a year with stevenso and we are so close now we can both feel it. We have researched,gone slowly ,recorded every clue,photographed,sketched and kept a journal. Countless hours of traipsing through brush and briars,hollows and hills and some of the roughest terrain imaginable....but it will be worth it.

We have been taking our azimuth and compass bearings off of all of the clues we found and GPS'ing everything to make a map....on one of our triangles,the lines crossed and thats exactly where the diamond tree was.

Thank you for understanding that I cannot say too much at this point

Gypsy Heart said:
We have researched,gone slowly ,desected every clue,photographed,sketched and kept a journal.

Sounds like you've done it up right :wink:

May the force be with you
:thumbsup:

( we're gonna need LOTSA pics in time )

I totally understand, no problem. And as far as the brush, briars, hollows and hills...well, welcome to Missouri ;D Good luck and let us know as much as you can as soon as you can.

HH Charlie

How about an update Gypsy, even if it's just to say you don't know anymore then you did. We are all still wanting to know what this "something big" is.

HH Charlie

savant365 said:
How about an update Gypsy, even if it's just to say you don't know anymore then you did. We are all still wanting to know what this "something big" is.

HH Charlie
What he said x 2 ;D

Not much of an update...but I can say that stevenso and I have been working our tails off on it....spent the last few weekends and all day yesterday working on it ......

I'm sorry but to me a circle with a diamond in it along with the initials LS means "Larry Smith just got a new pocket knife". Why must everything carved on a tree be a treasure symbol to you folks? Isn't it more probable that someone was just putting their initials into a tree for posterity's sake?

But I'm glad that you have found what you are looking for or are at least close to a find. Just curious though, did the tree end up being a wild goosechase or was it a real treasure symbol? More than likely there is probably no way to really know for sure.

Good luck!

Right now All I can say ......Both the diamond in circle and the LS were clues....which led us to where we needed to go....because we did this a little backwards.....we had already found where we were to go next...and backtracked to these clues.....in the end all of the clues were significant to what we needed

Hmmm... well then I will remain skeptical. It is easy to erroneously fit clues to something you already know to be true. But in this case the end result is the same either way so I guess it doesn't matter. You have found what you are looking for! Bravo! :icon_thumleft:

jb7487 said:
Hmmm... well then I will remain skeptical. It is easy to erroneously fit clues to something you already know to be true. But in this case the end result is the same either way so I guess it doesn't matter. You have found what you are looking for! Bravo! :icon_thumleft:

In the same way, it's easy to say that things would have been found anyway and the signs/symbols meant nothing.

SWR said:
I saw a show very similar to this scenario on either DiscoveryHD or History Channel. The circle, diamond and initials LS in this scenario parallels the TV show. That was the same weekend this thread was posted. I honestly thought they were watching the same show.

There was a dowser leading the group of treasure hunters. After finding the signs, he dowsed a cave entrance. They entered the cave and looked around, but found nothing.

I thought it very peculiar how the show innertwined dowsing and following treasure mark/signs
Thanks Jim...I really need to know for sure the name of that program so I can watch it.....If it is that similiar I need to find out everything I can.....Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back