I love trash!!

Willy

When hunting in freshwater lakes trash is my friend. Unlike saltwater, junk targets last seemingly forever in fresh. Consequently, people either give up in disgust or crank up the disc. That leaves a whole heap of goodies for a patient water hunter. In fact, when I do pull up some trash.. it goes right back down for the next time around. Of course, if it's something that could injure a kid wading around it'll be removed, but there are plenty of pull/flip tabs and bottlecaps down there. Something to think about for anyone that has a favourite swimming hole that gets hit by other MD'ers. ...Willy.

Upvote 0
Willy I think you are doing it wrong..... :) On the fresh water beaches I hunt, I remove all the trash so I not only don't have to retrieve it again, but other hunters quickly get discouraged by not hearing any sounds from junk or goodies. There are many beaches that are heavily hunted by some of us and the lack of targets puts off the less patient searchers where they move on to easier pickings. These are usually the ones that move quickly through the swim area. When they start finding trash, they stick around since they think it isn't hunted. You could be shooting yourself in the foot....LOL

Take Care,
Sandman

I haul everything out, if questioned it looks good to be holding a large bag of trash you are going to throw away.

Very thoughtfull of us, no? ;D

Well, this lake is hit HARD all through the summer and people would hunt it regardless. When detecting through the water I can see where people give up in disgust. There will be a flurry of holes (w. trash beside them) and then nothing. The main area is almost devoid of targets.. unless a PI is used and then the horror of the dreaded "carpet o nails" rears its' ugly head. Keeping my bread buttered.. Willy.

Willy said:
Well, this lake is hit HARD all through the summer and people would hunt it regardless. When detecting through the water I can see where people give up in disgust. There will be a flurry of holes (w. trash beside them) and then nothing. The main area is almost devoid of targets.. unless a PI is used and then the horror of the dreaded "carpet o nails" rears its' ugly head. Keeping my bread buttered.. Willy.
The last lake I detected was in Sebring,Fl..The beach was located next to an old motel that dates from the 40's.Not only did I find nothing good,the only thing I found was nails,nails and more nails! Not even a pull-tab or bottle-cap.No discrim.,i'm still trying to figure that one out.Must be a local there who detects it or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back