I found something I never wanted to find and what we all fear of finding.

hothardrocks

Oct 10, 2023
I was in the very far reaches of the Amargosa Desert prospecting out of my buggy in some very remote rugged country and there he was laying there in front of me and had been there since 1987. I reported it to the sheriff and guided them to his location. This was a few weeks ago and I wish one of the agencies would give news, work on the case or something. I hope they tell his family and friends.

Attachments

• Robert Lapergola.jpg
    Robert Lapergola.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 875
Upvote 2
It has nothing to do with the post being approved by the admins or not. It has to do with respect and good manners. And yes, I've read your post as well as the comments.
You said that you hope '' they tell his family and friends'', so I guess you're not certain that they did. In your post, you mention the name of the deceased and include the picture of the dead person. I'm sure no one would appreciate to learn of the fate of their loved one in graphic details by stumbling upon a post on some metal detecting forum while googling his name. I hope you understand that whatever you post on internet stays there for years to come, so people will be able to see the picture you posted while searching his name online. I'm just not sure it is fair to the person as well as his family and friends.

It's not an attack on you, I'm just expressing my opinion. It's a forum, don't forget about it.
I guess we’ll have to disagree on this. I can tell you this: If I was looking for a missing loved one, I wouldn’t care where I got information from. Any leads would be appreciated. Whether that information was from a metal detecting post, a hikers’ forum, the local government, or any other source, I would be grateful.

In addition, I would like to see a picture of the person that was found to see if the clothing/description matched as well as to help determine whether or not the post had any credibility, I.e., did someone just make the information up, or is it a legitimate find.

In my opinion (which doesn’t have to be any one else’s), the original poster did nothing wrong, and I would have done something similar.

Has anyone contacted the media--local or otherwise--about it?

They can sometimes get answers/results, and have resources to investigate.

Since police were notified they should have the answers

I was in the very far reaches of the Amargosa Desert prospecting out of my buggy in some very remote rugged country and there he was laying there in front of me and had been there since 1987. I reported it to the sheriff and guided them to his location. This was a few weeks ago and I wish one of the agencies would give news, work on the case or something. I hope they tell his family and friends.
You mentioned that the jacket you found was about 20 ft (or was it yds) from the body. Is it somewhere in the picture?
Also, missing boots and limbs... I can imagine a coyote or desert fox chewing it off and running away with it. I just don't know why they wouldn't keep coming back.

@hothardrocks
I have no idea how to use this site, forgive me.
Robert LaPergola Jr. was/is (?) my brother-in-law. More aptly put, my husband is his brother, and we decided to Google his name.
I’d really like for you (OP) to reach out to me.

Last edited:
@hothardrocks
Robert LaPergola Jr. was/is (?) my brother-in-law. More aptly put, my husband is his brother, and we decided to Google his name.
Unfortunately, the OP has not logged on since Aug 5.
You can reach out directly and privately by hovering over his avatar and clicking on Start Conversation

BTW, not a good idea to post your email; anyone can read it anywhere. You should be able to edit your post and delete the email address.

Best Wishes

@hothardrocks
(Email deleted by mod for safety.)
I removed your email address for your protection. You can send him a PM that is private and only he will see.

😳

I found a body with a friend of mine sitting up against a fence just like he had fallen asleep and never woke up. He was an older illegal alien. We both got in trouble because we were sneaking onto the property to fish the huge stock pond. My friend who was with me was the resident sheriff's son. So no charges were pressed against us for trespassing luckily.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back