I found my grandma's Silver Spoon and Forks. Can someone please tell me how much its worth

ganithmalage

Jun 30, 2024
I found my grandma's Silver Spoon and Forks. Can someone please tell me how much its worth
20240630_160403.jpg

Attachments

• 20240630_160327.jpg
    20240630_160327.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240630_160335.jpg
    20240630_160335.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240630_160347.jpg
    20240630_160347.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240630_160358.jpg
    20240630_160358.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240630_153713.jpg
    20240630_153713.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Upvote 2
Welcome to Tnet.

Those are from Elkington & Co. of Birmingham, England, but they're silver plate, not silver. The date code 'X' in a diamond lozenge is for 1862.

Unfortunately, despite being Victorian in age, their antiquity doesn't give them much additional value. You haven't shown them out of the canteen case, and their actual value will be determined by what the utensils are and the desirability of the pattern. From what I can see, there are only spoons and forks in two sizes, not full place settings. As such they would only attract a buyer who wants to add to a set they already have and so a popular pattern would make them more saleable.

I would expect them to fetch in the region $100-$200

Welcome to Tnet.

Those are from Elkington & Co. of Birmingham, England, but they're silver plate, not silver. The date code 'X' in a diamond lozenge is for 1862.

Unfortunately, despite being Victorian in age, their antiquity doesn't give them much additional value. You haven't shown them out of the canteen case, and their actual value will be determined by what the utensils are and the desirability of the pattern. From what I can see, there are only spoons and forks in two sizes, not full place settings. As such they would only attract a buyer who wants to add to a set they already have and so a popular pattern would make them more saleable.

I would expect them to fetch in the region $100-$200
Sorry i have added the wrong mark, can you check again, because in this spoon it has RMEH

Sorry i have added the wrong mark, can you check again, because in this spoon it has RMEH

Whoa, that puts a wholly different perspective on things. The hallmarks are for sterling silver from Martin, Hall & Co (Richard Martin & Ebenezer Hall) of the Shrewsbury Works, Sheffield. The date letter is a gothic lower case ā€˜qā€™, which is for 1908.

Iā€™ll check on the likely value later. England v Slovakia has just kicked off in the 2024 Euros Football quarter finalsā€¦ and that takes priority Iā€™m afraid. The total weight of the items will have some influence on the value.

Reactions: ARC

Whoa, that puts a wholly different perspective on things. The hallmarks are for sterling silver from Martin, Hall & Co (Richard Martin & Ebenezer Hall) of the Shrewsbury Works, Sheffield. The date letter is a gothic lower case ā€˜qā€™, which is for 1908.

Iā€™ll check on the likely value later. England v Slovakia has just kicked off in the 2024 Euros Football quarter finalsā€¦ and that takes priority Iā€™m afraid. The total weight of the items will have some influence on the value.
Thank you so much sir, yes im also watching the match, enjoy sir

Thank you so much sir, yes im also watching the match, enjoy sir

Well, I enjoyed the result, but I can't say I enjoyed the performance!

There doesnā€™t seem to be too much of it around to gauge a typical selling price. To give you some idea (but the eBay price is for items as yet unsold, and the Dart Silver price is what a dealer might chargeā€¦ and probably offer you half that if you were selling).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back