I found a moonshine jug.

BackwoodsDiva

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I do not know what set off the metal detector. Maybe barbwire as all of this was found on an old fence line. There was nothing inside of this except a lot of mud. Maybe a little piece of metal was mixed in but no goodies. It is so pretty. On the bottom I see the letter B but nothing else. It appears to be handmade.

DSCN1087.JPG
DSCN1085.JPG

A few weeks ago I found this about 20 yards down the slope from the jug. Water does wash that way in floods. The pulleys were what set the detector off. The pottery just happened to be next to it. Looks like the same type of pottery. So now I am going to search that line.

DSCN0505.JPG
DSCN0509.JPG

Upvote 28
Clean it up, and put it back to work :occasion14:

Very nice intact jug find! :occasion14:

The last time I found one was after digging a 7 foot trench x 6 foot deep in an old (bottle/trash) dump. I like your recovery methods much better.

I can't wait until daylight so I can get started. I'll be back if I get more.

That is one nice jug!
Used for just about everything liquid those old jugs often were used for molasses which of course was turned into moon shine in prohibition days and then repurposed once again for the finished product.

NOW THATS A JUG ....

Love that! I can imagine one of the Darlings on Andy Griffith playing that thing.

"Let me be your salty dog, or I won't be your dog at all. Honey let me be your salty dog. "

I dug a little deeper but haven't found anything else yet. Not going to give up on the area though.

Oh and I have promised it to my SIL. She saw it on Facebook and loved it. She and my brother have a nice glassed in porch at their lake house with all kinds of old timey things.

I would have to guess that is at least 100 years old, nice gift with some value I think.

Man that is a nice find. Whole bottles are not easy to find but a complete jug man. Congratulations

Just think-if you find another one like it you'll have a nice pair of jugs! (sorry I couldn't resist) But seriously, that is a great find-congratulations!

haha.

Talk to your ancestors if they are still around. I mentioned this three times to my 98 year old grandmother. Even sent her a pic. First she said it was for her mothers vinegar. Then she said maybe something for the pigs since that space was the edge of the pig pen years ago. Then last night she admitted it could have been for wine because her brothers tried to make some once and got in trouble. So I'm thinking the next conversation she will tell me my great grandfather made "The Recipe". haha. I think she didn't want to admit anyone drank because the family is super religious and against drinking.

Last edited:
Awesome find, keep looking for the still

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back