Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 113
A big one....., not as big as our golden orb here in Savannah

Upvote 0
Sorry, but if I see it.......I'll name it dead twice! It would look like a grease spot with a leg or two coming out of it!

I wouldn't stick around to get a pic!:laughing7:

You ought not fear anything,respect yes,fear,no.

Upvote 0
This is not a Wolf Spider, but a similar looking spider, common name is Dark Fishing Spider, scientific name is Dolomedes tenebrosus, sometimes also referred too as a Six Spotted Fishing spider.

General info on all types of Fishing spiders.

Dolomedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specific info on the Dark Fishing spider.

Dolomedes tenebrosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (note that the squares are 1/2", which matches the size of the spider posted by the OP)

750px-Dolomedes_tenebrosus_1_PEM.jpg

Fishing Spider (Dolomedes species) (Photo #9)

Fishing%20Spider%20species%200012.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is not a Wolf Spider, but a similar looking spider, common name is Dark Fishing Spider, scientific name is Dolomedes tenebrosus, sometimes also referred too as a Six Spotted Fishing spider.

General info on all types of Fishing spiders.

Dolomedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specific info on the Dark Fishing spider.

Dolomedes tenebrosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (note that the squares are 1/2", which matches the size of the spider posted by the OP)

750px-Dolomedes_tenebrosus_1_PEM.jpg

Fishing Spider (Dolomedes species) (Photo #9)

Fishing%20Spider%20species%200012.jpg

So I get it that your a spider person ?

Upvote 0
After getting bit on the cheek during the National Anthem at a high school football game , I name them all DUS,,DEAD UPON SEEING !!!!! left a hole in my face I have to wash the shaving cream out of after I shave .............. Damn a spider !!!!

Upvote 0
So I get it that your a spider person ?

No not really, but I was a Cub Scout leader and we did a lot of research on spiders for a scout project, I do have a several good field guide books on many subjects as well as spiders, I originally bought the books to teach my kids what to look for or be careful of when out in the wilds, Lions, Tigers and Bears OH MY!!!LOL..., my kids and my Cub Scouts learned well about nature, good and bad.

I found the ID of the OP's Dark Fishing spider in my field guide and then found the above info on the web to post here.

I'm a big guy and I really don't mind spiders as long I know they're there,...when they get on me unannounced, I then do the girly thing until I regain my composure!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been bitten by a brown recluse in the back in my sleep once. Despite that, there is no reason to fear something so interesting. Keep your hands out of their webs and they will leave you alone.

Upvote 0
Handsome critter . . . if you can get past the AAAAAAGGGHHHH! phase.

We get some big 'ol wolf spiders hereabouts. And these little guys that startle the crap out of me. Parson Spiders. Shorter legs but stockier body and they move quick!

HPIM2608.jpg

Harmless and actually beneficial as they eat bugs and insects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BEAUTIFUL! !

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
ok now I got the creepy crawly feeling all over. In my line of work I sometimes have to crawl into some pretty nasty places but I do not look for them anywhere except where I am crawling to. seeing one does not bother me as long as they get out of my way BUT! if one gets on me I will scream like a little girl and get out of there as fast as my 32 inch legs can move me.

Upvote 0
Back in the day, I was quite the hot rodder. We'd go to junk yards and folks homes with acreage looking for that set of head, or tranny that would boost the car(s) I was working on.

I was after a tranny under an old Z28 and slid under it on my back and began the uninstall. What I didn't realize was that I'd rubbed my chest/stomach across a mess of spider sacs that were close to hatching. When I started feeling the little critters on my arms and legs (wearing shorts), I slid out from under the car.. and did like Papalittle "BUT! if one gets on me I will scream like a little girl and get out of there as fast as my 32 inch legs can move me.".

Upvote 0
I'm glad someone put this post up. I saw this little guy the other day putting up fence and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind it was. It's was about 1 1/2" long. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Attachments

• Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back