145.4 KB · Views: 2,689
  • 1932D Back.JPG
    1932D Back.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,678
  • 1932d cutb.JPG
    1932d cutb.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 2,691
Upvote 0
Come on guys the clad quarters have the mintmark on the front of the coin. Another clue to it being silver is where its cut no copper is showing on either side. Thus its a silver quarter 1932 D. Its obvious if you'll just look it over. Of course maybe you've never checked the mint marks on silver quarters and compared them to clad.

with the "D" mint mark on the reverse below the eagle --thats a 1932 D * washington quarter and in that grade if undamaged -- its "big bucks" -- so I know why yer crying.

HH, Ringfinder
[/quote]As some else just said it was a 1932 not a 1982 quarter..high dollar coin
[/quote]

that's what i'm wondering. you can see on the left half of the cut the remaing ring of the 8.. it go's as high as halfway up the nine almost, much different than a "3" from 32
[/quote]

Hi Guys, Please correct me if I am wrong but according to my Krause catologue of world coins the Washington quarter with the eagle on the obverse stopped in 1971. they then moved onto the Drummer boy, so dosnt this have to be a 1932D, I must admit when i first saw the coin I thought it was a 1982 as well but then I looked in the book.

Cheers Sasnz

Sorry, but anyone saying this is a 1982 quarter is incorrect. The "D" mintmark below the wreath on the back was last used in 1964, and the reverse mintmark is only found on silver quarters. It is a 1932-D quarter, and a $300 to $500 coin without the cut. I can see why he cried.

just in case you might have some doubts... Ya know it could be a poor man's keydate LOL

Attachments

• 1932D Edge.JPG
    1932D Edge.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,166
chukers said:
just in case you might have some doubts... Ya know it could be a poor man's keydate LOL
I was reading along in this thread and the very first thing that I noticed was the rarity of the quarter, that's a shame it got damaged like it did but I'd personally still be happy just finding a coin that scarce. I read what another guy was saying about 1982 and I thought Whoa! Had to take another look at the coin and it's definitely the 32.

i can feel your pain!!! :'( :(

[

You are so correct, sorry I didn't see that. I just didn't see in the original post that the coin was silver, that would have answered a lot of questions, sorry for all the confusion. I'd say from the looks of the coin, I doubt it will be worth any more than what a silver quarter is going for, what a shame. It would have been a very valuable find. It will be a great conversation piece for years to come.

HH, Ringfinder
[/quote] No it should be worth a bit more then what a standard silver quarter is going for (It's a Key date)but not nearly as much as what it should go for

sasnz said:
HH, Ringfinder
As some else just said it was a 1932 not a 1982 quarter..high dollar coin
[/quote]

that's what i'm wondering. you can see on the left half of the cut the remaing ring of the 8.. it go's as high as halfway up the nine almost, much different than a "3" from 32
[/quote]

Hi Guys, Please correct me if I am wrong but according to my Krause catologue of world coins the Washington quarter with the eagle on the obverse stopped in 1971. they then moved onto the Drummer boy, so dosnt this have to be a 1932D, I must admit when i first saw the coin I thought it was a 1982 as well but then I looked in the book.

Cheers Sasnz
[/quote]Actually the eagle reverse was replaced by the drummer for the bicentenial coins minted in 1975 and 1976. The eagle returned for 1977 and was used until the state quarter program in 1999.

yes but the mint mark was switched from the rear (under the eagle) to the front of the coin when the mint stopped making silver coins in 1964 * thus with the "D" matk on the rear the coin can not be a 1982 clad coin (it must be be 1964 or before) --plus the fact that no copper is seen in the cut area too boot --its clear to me that the coin was a "key date 1932 "D" washington quarter --worth at least $300 if it had not been dinged . -- a very good reason to cry . :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

ivan salis said:
yes but the mint mark was switched from the rear (under the eagle) to the front of the coin when the mint stopped making silver coins in 1964 * thus with the "D" matk on the rear the coin can not be a 1982 clad coin (it must be be 1964 or before) --plus the fact that no copper is seen in the cut area too boot --its clear to me that the coin was a "key date 1932 "D" washington quarter --worth at least $300 if it had not been dinged . -- a very good reason to cry . :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
[/]Yes well aware of the mintmark location, that was my first thought when someone mentioned 1982, as well as the silver. I knew 1932 right away, been collecting for over 40 years now so picked up a few things! Just clarifying the eagle reverse issue.

Put a bezel on it and chain it around your neck. It's your albatross now.

The treasure gods, seeing your humble and pentinent behavior will shower you with key-date coins!

I thought the THer who said it was an '82 was joking....until I read later in the post where he apologized.
Hmmmm I paid about $140.00 or so for a '32D. It is the key of that series. A very nice find, even tho
a ???????????? got to it. Better luck next time. :thumbsup:

kakcsdad said:
you can spend it if you cant stand looking at the damage or send it to me and i will spend it for you. by the way nice macro shot w/the camera.

hh

Thanks... its only a 5mp camera... its ok...

And thank you everyone else for the comments and the views... I had 1000+ views in less than 24 hours!

Chukers

Lowbatts said:
Put a bezel on it and chain it around your neck. It's your albatross now.

The treasure gods, seeing your humble and pentinent behavior will shower you with key-date coins!

Good Idea!

Its a shame its damaged... but enjoy the coin regardless. You've found good silver... the fact that its damaged is not the point. If you'd planned on selling it then its value is reduced to zero, but by keeping it its a bit like the "Fisherman's tale about the one that got away". Spade shaved coins are a part of detecting, the fact that you didn't damage it means you found it that way, so what the hell!!
Good coin mate!
Hodge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back