Hurricane Milton Thread

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Kick it off, on the first projected project path the center was scheduled right over my house, (Orlando) it has shifted so now the house is 46 miles from the forecasted center when it reaches us if it doesn't wobble north and in the hurricane's NW quadrant which is where I want to be if I have got to be in a hurricane again.

my generator is up and tested, enough fuel for 36 hours.
It powers a small window AC unit I have for power outages, 2 freezers, a fridge, lights, my fiber cable box, and a TV.

Everything here is buttoned down and just waiting now. Plenty of food and water so my wife and I are good.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got it going on Treasure, I'm located in Mount Dora, about 25 miles North of Orlando and agree, although we will be on the dirty side of the storm which usually spawns tornadoes. Got my Gennie up and running the other day and have enough fuel for a couple of days. It will power my fridge and a few lights, and a small widow a/c. But the more you load it, the less run time it gets. I try not to go over 50% load on it.

It has shifted south a few more mile since the early AM hours.
Tampa is on the edge of the cone now where as yesterday it was well in the cone.
To all of you best of luck, you all are in my thoughts.
From spending winters on the west coast-Anna Marie Island and the area it saddens me to think that the Island was hit so hard with Helene.
Now with the barrier island having an average of 7ft-Longboat Key having only 3 ft-storm surge of 10-15 ft.
Then add a foot + of rain it really looks like they'll be in more trouble than one can imagine.

Screen Shot 2024-10-09 at 11.53.52 AM.png

Sounds like you got it going on Treasure, I'm located in Mount Dora, about 25 miles North of Orlando and agree, although we will be on the dirty side of the storm which usually spawns tornadoes. Got my Gennie up and running the other day and have enough fuel for a couple of days. It will power my fridge and a few lights, and a small widow a/c. But the more you load it, the less run time it gets. I try not to go over 50% load on it.
We are real close, get together some time for beach detecting, I'm in NW Orlando mile from Apopka city limits. Live mile from the new Apopka high school on hiawassee.

By the way, just FYI, you are not on the dirty side, you are in the NW quadrant, same as me. The NE quadrant is the dirty side.

Kick it off, on first projected project path the center was scheduled right over my house, (Orlando) it has shifted so now house is 46 miles from center and in hurricane's NW quadrant which is where I want to be if I have got to be in hurricane again.

Generator is up and tested, enough fuel for 36 hours.
It powers a small window ac unit I have for power outage, 2 freezers, fridge light, cable box and TV.

Everything here is buttoned down and just waiting now. Plenty of food and water so wife and I are good.
I have a 6500/5000 watt generator that can run most of everything within limits.
Have a 15,000 Diesel in storage that will be in service next year.
A freezer will last 24 hrs before any worry-so I stage the 5 freezers having a few on at a time.
This is while the 2 side by sides are on in the house.
Well pump and the boiler are also online.
But I admit the 5000 is working and gets dragged down some at times.
To use the stove top its turn other things off for a bit.

To run most homes (in the north) it's a 15KW generator that is recommended.
Propane is the best with a 1500 gallon tank, that usually will provide a window of 2+ weeks.

It has shifted south a few more mile since the early AM hours.
Tampa is on the edge of the cone now where as yesterday it was well in the cone.
To all of you best of luck, you all are in my thoughts.
From spending winters on the west coast-Anna Marie Island and the area it saddens me to think that the Island was hit so hard with Helene.
Now with the barrier island having an average of 7ft-Longboat Key having only 3 ft-storm surge of 10-15 ft.
Then add a foot + of rain it really looks like they'll be in more trouble than one can imagine.

View attachment 2173213
That is good, have family in Tampa, my brother was going to come stay with me, but his son talk his mother into going to Ft Myers, then the track shifted south I told him it was following him and drive towards Naples.

His son lives in Le High Acres, about 15 miles from coast, not near any rivers or running water so they are good unless one of the many tornadoes catches them.

That is good, have family in Tampa, my brother was going to come stay with me, but his son talk his mother into going to Ft Myers, then the track shifted south I told him it was following him and drive towards Naples.

His son lives in Le High Acres, about 15 miles from coast, not near any rivers or running water so they are good unless one of the many tornadoes catches them.
We have had a few Tornados in Ontario, but really nothing actually to fret about.
Wind sheers are more common and then the power issues happen as when the freezing rain events happen.

I'm pretty lucky as the home is protected, seen white water only a few times on the bay, and a 6 inch push for height in the levels. (Jet ski can be worse)
Winter storms are what they are-hunker down, feast on good soup and chill out looking at the storm.
You have white sands and I get the snow banks to push around.
2-4 inches of rain is a major event for us around here also.

I don't think I could do Tornado alley or near the hurricane areas either.
Fretting for months on end every year if the home will survive.
Granted it's better living inland than on the water for safety.

We have had a few Tornados in Ontario, but really nothing actually to fret about.
Wind sheers are more common and then the power issues happen as when the freezing rain events happen.

I'm pretty lucky as the home is protected, seen white water only a few times on the bay, and a 6 inch push for height in the levels. (Jet ski can be worse)
Winter storms are what they are-hunker down, feast on good soup and chill out looking at the storm.

have gone weeks without power .
Finally got a generator.
Today it's a standby one on natural gas doing the grunt work..
Still have the gas one in the shed. Ordered a China carburetor for the newest slightly used but aged one that is small enough to not lug so bad just to run something outside.

IF gas station several miles away is reachable they have a generator. i don't count on it after a storm.
Reserve gas after regular containers are empty is in tractor tanks. We have multiple vehicles too but I haven't had to tap one in a long time.
A siphon hose with a marble in the end of it is a luxury today.
No more tasting gas!

i have lived in Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Illinois, Ohio, North Dakota, and Minnesota so I can relate to the bad winter storms. The day after I moved to Minnesota for my job it started snowing on a Fri night and didn't stop till Sunday afternoon, over 26" fell, and snow drifts were 20 feet high, you couldn't see or find your car. I had to take a cab for 10 days till they plowed the parking lot of the apartments I lived in, they refused to plow till either the roofs or antennas showed.

Seen multiple tornadoes over my lifetime, even seen sister tornados in Nebraska, but luckily never been in one, just close.... Most tornados from hurricanes are EF-1s.

Last edited:
I'd hate to be in an EV trying to evacuate.
You are right Robert, multiple EVs on the coast burned up because the batteries were submerged in salt water.

Brother is in Le High Acres, just south west of Ft Meyers, he was outside with his son and wife and happen to look up at the thunderstorms passing over and spotted a funnel cloud hanging from cloud, it hadn't touched down, at least when he saw it. It was first funnel cloud he had ever seen.,

My niece is in Bradenton, but 10 miles inland. Underground utilities too. They are recent California transplants (not liberals :laughing7:)but are sticking it out. If you look at where it is exiting the state on the east coast, that is basically my house! I live on the island off of Melbourne. We should be ok. Fingers crossed. I think I may price out a permanent whole house generator after this crap goes by. I have a small coastal house that won't need a lot of power.

My niece is in Bradenton, but 10 miles inland. Underground utilities too. They are recent California transplants (not liberals :laughing7:)but are sticking it out. If you look at where it is exiting the state on the east coast, that is basically my house! I live on the island off of Melbourne. We should be ok. Fingers crossed. I think I may price out a permanent whole house generator after this crap goes by. I have a small coastal house that won't need a lot of power.
I was going to buy a whole house standing generator but the cost was rather high and since we have no natural gas in the neighborhood I would have to also install a large propane tank. The price was $8000 to $10,000 with installation for everything, just out of my price range. I have a new portable inverter-generator, Westinghouse 4000 cranking 3700 running. Much more of a hassle than a standing generator but it works.

Hope they stay safe. Dave my detecting and hunting partner is from Melbourne, his brother still lives there and his mother is hunkered down with his brother, he is home with his wife, in west Orlando.

Damn buddy I wish ya the best and family. I'm down in bed here (going asleep) by 9 pm C.T.. But your nighttime storm happenings is just beginning then. I'll catch up with you in the morning. I hope the storm skirts you just right with little damage (power be damned). But to miss YOU others are put in harms way.... somebody loses as usual.

Damn buddy I wish ya the best and family. I'm down in bed here (going asleep) by 9 pm C.T.. But your nighttime storm happenings is just beginning then. I'll catch up with you in the morning. I hope the storm skirts you just right with little damage (power be damned). But to miss YOU others are put in harms way.... somebody loses as usual.
Yes, which is why I don't pray for it to go somewhere else, but rather drop the intensity of the storm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back