Howdy from West Virginia

Tricord

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using this great site to help research my finds for a while and decided I should sign up. I doubt I'll be able to contribute much since I'm new to the hobby, but here I am.

I've had my tesoro for a couple of years but have only really gotten into it since about March. Finally convinced my old man to head out with me and I've got him hooked now too. A couple of months ago I found my first old coin. A 1919 buffalo, in a local park that has been combed over a million times and it kind of lit a fire under both of us. My old man is still trying to get used to his and hasn't found much beyond clad. It wasn't until yesterday that we were digging near a known CW site and I found a button 5 minutes into our hunt. Not knowing what it was, I didn't give it much thought and just put it into my "keeps pouch". When I got home and cleaned it up and researched it I found out that it was in fact a tombac or a dandy. (still trying to discern the difference). Also found an old harmonica reed and some hand wrought nails in great condition and found a 1905 indian head penny. It's not much but it's my best day yet and it's fueling my new found addiction. The button was especially exciting for me. I was only hoping for my first CW relic and I managed to go back much further.

I do have some finds that I just can't seem to identify and some questions about some of the finds I have. I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as I can, maybe some of you fellas or ladies can shed some light.

Anyway, fantastic site! Thanks to whom ever created it.

Stay hydrated out there!

Alright, so IMG_20140611_204023407.jpgIMG_20140611_204047282.jpgIMG_20140611_204109175_HDR.jpgIMG_20140611_204142570_HDR.jpgIMG_20140611_204243501_HDR.jpgIMG_20140611_204259200.jpgIMG_20140611_204332163_HDR.jpgI took some photos of some of the finds I'm having issues with. I apologize for the bad images.

The first is that iron hook. I've searched and the closest thing I've come up with is it may be part of those wrought irion "S" hooks that held pots over camp fires?

The next is that butterfly pendant. The majority of the thing is corroded except those two pieces in the middle. The came out of the ground very shiny. Silver perhaps?

Next is the black button thing. Tie tack? Not sure what the black part is made out of. I doubt its real onyx or anything, but I may be wrong.

And last is my button. Dandy or tombac? Year range? The loop on the back isn't on a mound like the tombacs I've seen on the internet and looks like the Dandy buttons I've seen, but the design on the front shines, unlike the dandy buttons I've seen...I dunno.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The butterfly image didn't load...

IMG_20140611_204158803_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the info. So that means the dandy buttons did have the shiny engraved metal on the front of them as well then huh?

vpnavy, that is fantastic! Thanks. Didn't know there was an area in the forum so specific. Got some reading to do now.

Congrats on that button. That is a very good find and tells you that you have the potential for more great things at that site.

Thanks everybody. Yep, got my eye on that old site and have intentions of going back until it gives up it's secrets.

Welcome my T net friend! So awesome to get your Dad hooked. I have my son who is 37 hooked now. Heck, he found an old Miller beer can with the pull off tab and you would have thought it was gold to him. Priceless. HH to ya

Welcome to TreasureNet Forums!

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Hi Trichord; The large button you show is a ONE PIECE button dating to 1760 - 1800. It has the Classic Federal Design on it. From the pictures I believe that if you look at the fronts 2:00 and 6:00 Positions you can barely make it out but it looks like it has Lettering at both Positions. Most prominent at the 6:00 Position. This is common for that Period.
Also if you look on the back of the button you should see the Makers Mark such as Scoville ok. By the way the Makers Mark is spelled will help ID much more closely when the button was actually made as the Makers Marks changed fairly frequently ok.
2 Piece buttons did not really start being made until about 1810 - 1820. Civil War buttons are 2 Piece buttons and usually have either a gold or Silver Plating on them. The buttons with the Eagle on the front usually have a letter on its chest. The letters stand for the soldiers position such as A means Artillery. I means Infantry etc.. The Eagle Buttons were usually Union Army ok.
Anyways, I hope this helps. I guess now you know how to correctly ID and Date your buttons ok. There are a lot of books that ID these buttons fairly accurately ok.
PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back