How to keep a 69 year old newbie from getting kick off the ball fields metal detecting?

cowetadan

Aug 1, 2014
Thomasville,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think a letter is a good way to get a sign posted that says "no detecting here". I'd wait till the off season. I did best at beaches in the off seasons.
Noted! After grass goes into hibernation. THANK YOU!

Some tips: Get really good at cutting and replacing grass plugs on crappy grass in mostly-vacant parks during off hours. Keep your pinpointer in silent/vibrate mode. Un-sheath / sheath your Lesche digging tool when you're kneeling, keeping it close to your leg so it doesn't look like you have a big knife. Don't pull it out while facing people with kids, lol. If families do pass nearby, give the kids a crusty clad coin each - the kids and the parents will love and remember it.

When you don't stand out much and can't find your own holes from 15 minutes ago, you're ready for nicer, busier parks during off hours.

Last edited:
Visited the very large sports complex today. They take great care of the playing fields grass. This county has lots of different sized parks. I'm thinking of sending an email to the Parks & Recreation manager. Bad idea?

Garrett AT Pro arrives tomorrow. Woohoo!
Yep , bad Idea ! No signs, No Park Rules on line, then
Just stay off the Main Play area During play season !

the sides & Corners are better anyway
Unless you wanna Be Told NO !

I personally think a letter is a good way to get a sign posted that says "no detecting here". I'd wait till the off season. I did best at beaches in the off seasons.
Smokey GREAT POST !!!

Visited the very large sports complex today. They take great care of the playing fields grass. This county has lots of different sized parks. I'm thinking of sending an email to the Parks & Recreation manager. Bad idea?
To what end? :icon_scratch: What's your thinking here?

Don't write any letters as it's slippery slide for some pencil pusher to visualize giant ankle breaking holes being dug on the sports/park lawns.

Just getting your machine-practice on your own lawn first-perfecting the plug cutting/removel/replacement method.
(recommend to watch some videos on the proper way to cut a plug)

Simple rules cut vertically into turf, cut a horse shoe shape plug leaving a flap on one side.
These 2 simple retrieval rules will keep plug from drying out.
Stomp plug back in/fluff grass.
Invisible results should be always strived for.
You should not dig in really dry conditions-plugs will dry out/dir and there will be lots of dead round patches of grass everywhere which will peeve off the grounds keepers.

In the beginning try the less traveled parks, in low traffic times.

How to attract attention beeping detector/buzzing pin pointer
How to avoid attention wear headphones/vibrate mode

You dug it-so remove it.

Garrett AT Pro arrives tomorrow. Woohoo!
Welcome to the forum and to a hobby/passion that never gets old.

To what end? :icon_scratch: What's your thinking here?
Guess I watched too many Andy Griffith Show episodes. Sport complex's are for winter. Will be hunting small curbside patches, with 100 year old tree's. This town has a lot of them.

Attachments

• oak trees.png
    oak trees.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
Don't write any letters as it's slippery slide for some pencil pusher to visualize giant ankle breaking holes being dug on the sports/park lawns.

Just getting your machine-practice on your own lawn first-perfecting the plug cutting/removel/replacement method.
(recommend to watch some videos on the proper way to cut a plug)

Simple rules cut vertically into turf, cut a horse shoe shape plug leaving a flap on one side.
These 2 simple retrieval rules will keep plug from drying out.
Stomp plug back in/fluff grass.
Invisible results should be always strived for.
You should not dig in really dry conditions-plugs will dry out/dir and there will be lots of dead round patches of grass everywhere which will peeve off the grounds keepers.

In the beginning try the less traveled parks, in low traffic times.

How to attract attention beeping detector/buzzing pin pointer
How to avoid attention wear headphones/vibrate mode

You dug it-so remove it.
Made a screenshot and put in MD folder. Thank you!

Guess I watched too many Andy Griffith Show episodes. Sport complex's are for winter. Will be hunting small curbside patches, with 100 year old tree's. This town has a lot of them.
IDK the laws in GA.

In many/most places here in NY, road verge is still private property within the right-of-way, so you need homeowner's permission just as if you're detecting their back yard.

In some areas, road verge is public property; in others, it may be public, but property owners are obliged to maintain it.

And in some areas, property owners are going to believe/think they own the verge whether they do or not. Is it worth the hassle to argue that with an irate resident and the cops they've just called?

If the verges you're talking about are all along public property to begin with, that may be OK--IDK.

Best to find out the law(s) in the particular area you intend to search.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back