Jury indicts 2 Las Vegas Valley men for damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
• Aug 24, 2024 •

Two Henderson men were indicted by a federal grand jury for reportedly damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

Only thing I find wrong is the Lie, ' Damage in Excess of $1000.00 '
$1..00 or One Million Dollars ? Would Still be a Lie !
1. The rocks were Natural.
2. No one particularly Paid to go there and look at those rocks.
if there is a Cost, they probably Gained Payers after this !
3. they cannot & will Not be put back together.

So Value is simply a Lie !

that said They should be Fined & I don't care one way or the other on Jail time.
But they Should get Steep Fines for being ArseHoles ! !

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that somewhere when they first did it.
Idiots. Always idiots wanting to destroy things. We have them here, hundreds of yrs old Aboriginal scar trees where they cut out some thick bark sections to make things from it before white man arrived and idiots cut them down to have a campfire.

Well Chilli, you got to stay warm and if that is the only firewood. I also saw this and wondered how this would be prosecuted since nature will do the same thing with erosion, which is how they got their unique shape in the first place.

• Aug 24, 2024 •

Two Henderson men were indicted by a federal grand jury for reportedly damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

that said They should be Fined & I don't care one way or the other on Jail time.

Maybe they are using a $$$ number in the cost of restoration work putting the rocks back in the original place.

Charging them with stupidity is applicable in this case.
I can see a youngster throwing down a boulder-but these 2 have had some years of growing up and grabbing a half a brain.
Up to 10 yrs in prison?
How about a 20 yr ban on all State and Federal parks and reserves-ouch!

Maybe they are using a $$$ number in the cost of restoration work putting the rocks back in the original place.

How about a 20 yr ban on all State and Federal parks and reserves-ouch!
Gluing the Rocks Back together & haling them up & Placing them as they Were ? Impossible Therefore Priceless .

Even Lifetime ban is nothing Imo .
I haven't been Banned from state and/or federal parks
but if I was I'd laugh it off. Like being Banned from Holding a Government Office :laughing7: Whoop-De- Freakin-Doo :laughing7: Don't need 'em.

I say Heavy Fines $10,000 - $20,000 tops ,Again Jail Time ?
probably Won't happen, But probably Instant Parole.
They Gotta Work off the Fines !

Gluing the Rocks Back together & haling them up & Placing them as they Were ? Impossible Therefore Priceless .

Even Lifetime ban is nothing Imo .
I haven't been Banned from state and/or federal parks
but if I was I'd laugh it off. Like being Banned from Holding a Government Office :laughing7: Whoop-De- Freakin-Doo :laughing7: Don't need 'em.

I say Heavy Fines $10,000 - $20,000 tops ,Again Jail Time ?
probably Won't happen, But probably Instant Parole.
They Gotta Work off the Fines !
I think there's a word for all of what's going to happen with their sentences.

I'm good with prison time, though I doubt they'll get anything anywhere near 10 yrs.
I'm good with hefty fines.
I'm good with lifetime bans.

I also saw this and wondered how this would be prosecuted since nature will do the same thing with erosion, which is how they got their unique shape in the first place.
What took nature millions of years to create was irreparably damaged in minutes.

One might make the same argument about vandalizing a 2000 yr. old redwood. There's a difference between losing it to a naturally occurring event and some numnutz chopping it down.

This was also on federally protected land--not the defunct gravel pit/quarry on Old MacDonald's private property.

There's no permits required like for national parks? I remember we paid quite a bit for a permit to see the Grand Canyon after paying for plane fare, hotel, rental car... specifically to go there and look at the rocks.

I think I mighta had a negative reaction to seeing a couple of yahoos busting the place up or spray painting graffiti on the walls of the canyon...

yea I Hate these Morons with spray paint cans too :coffee2:
I was coming home from work in Houston TX.
Taking a short cut along the railroad tracks I saw this guy leaning up against the wall spraying white enamel paint into his mouth.
It was coming out his nose actually.
He grunted something in Mexican and offered me some.

Nope I'm good.

Amazing how 40 yrs later I still wonder what the eff 🤔.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was coming home from work in Houston TX.
Taking a short cut along the railroad tracks I saw this guy leaning up against the wall spraying white enamel paint into his mouth.
It was coming out his nose actually.
He grunted something in Mexican and offered me some.

Nope I'm good.

Amazing how 40 yrs later I still wonder what the eff 🤔.
It's a form of huffing. You did good to decline.

• Aug 24, 2024 •

Really? Those formations took thousands and thousands of years to form. Hopefully they get JAIL time, it is deserved and sends a message to others to NOT damage nature

Well Chilli, you got to stay warm and if that is the only firewood. I also saw this and wondered how this would be prosecuted since nature will do the same thing with erosion, which is how they got their unique shape in the first place.
Well Chilli!
No. Tell me where trees are, that erosion causes canoe shaped and shield shaped perfect cut out sections in our Aussie gum trees? Iv never heard of such a thing in all my life living in the bush. These are trees that the aboriginal people cut out sections of the thick bark to use as canoes and shields and other things. To them they are as significant as your American Indian sites are to them. Go tell your American indians their places are nothing more than natural erosion. And no, those trees were not the only source of firewood, the people were just weekend duck hunters not pilgrims on snow covered mountains fighting to survive. They were cut down thoughtlessly for just a bbq campfire during duck hunting trips and fishing trips. In known areas that they were there.
These trees are known by the aboriginal people of the areas, Iv seen many myself and you are telling me that its just erosion!? Unbelievable!
You even got a like for that ignorance 👎

Well Chilli!
No. Tell me where trees are, that erosion causes canoe shaped and shield shaped perfect cut out sections in our Aussie gum trees? Iv never heard of such a thing in all my life living in the bush. These are trees that the aboriginal people cut out sections of the thick bark to use as canoes and shields and other things. To them they are as significant as your American Indian sites are to them. Go tell your American indians their places are nothing more than natural erosion. And no, those trees were not the only source of firewood, the people were just weekend duck hunters not pilgrims on snow covered mountains fighting to survive. They were cut down thoughtlessly for just a bbq campfire during duck hunting trips and fishing trips. In known areas that they were there.
These trees are known by the aboriginal people of the areas, Iv seen many myself and you are telling me that its just erosion!? Unbelievable!
You even got a like for that ignorance 👎
What do you think gave the rocks and mountains their shape? People? No, it's call erosion, nature. Mountains and rock formations will eventually crumble all be it taking millions of years. We have desecrated Native American sites for more than 100 years. It's only in recent years deciding to try and preserve them. If I'm in the woods or desert and get lost or stranded and the only thing to keep me warm is burning firewood from a beloved tree, I'm going to burn the wood just as you or anyone else would do, which is survival.

I don't know you nor do I care to as well as you don't know me, but I would suggest taking a chill pill because you seem to be getting all worked up about something you can't do anything about. Do I agree with the thugs damaging the rock formation NOPE, but I also don't think they should be hung for damaging rocks, which will go away with erosion in the future. Fine them, give them community service cleaning up a national park and send them on their way.

What gets me is these are two local's from my area, Henderson. Idiots.......like the ones I think 2 years ago that were caught in the same park carving their names into the petroglyphs.

Big fine, and community service at the park, say 150 hours should do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back