How old is this lock?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this over the weekend. It was about 9" deep. I was wondering the approximate age and what does the back mean by "section tool house 1"? The Union Pacific rail yard is approximately 4-5 miles from where I found the lock, so I suspect that it originally came from there.

Also, I was wondering what the best way is to clean and preserve it. The shank is steel while the case is brass.

Thanks for the help.

-John P1000713.JPG P1000714.JPG

Neat find. If I had to guess I'm going with 1st quarter of the 20th century. I can see it was at one time the tool crib lock that kept all the stuff a RR repair section crew would need. No doubt an interesting thing as far as old locks go. I did find a lock collectors forum online that may pinpoint exactly the time this lock was made. Maybe send them a note? The Antique Locks/COLTi Forum - Industrial Archeology of locks Could be rare?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like it!!!

Tim

Upvote 0
There are a few very similar examples in pages ink below. They don't have dates, but at least identify who made them (Slaymaker in this case). I'd seen other examples online that we're said to be from the late 1920's, but I don't know if they were stamped as such or if they had a reference book to come up with their dates?
Railroad Padlocks - Missouri Pacific Railroad Co. - Antique Padlocks

Upvote 0
There are a few very similar examples in pages ink below. They don't have dates, but at least identify who made them (Slaymaker in this case). I'd seen other examples online that we're said to be from the late 1920's, but I don't know if they were stamped as such or if they had a reference book to come up with their dates?
Railroad Padlocks - Missouri Pacific Railroad Co. - Antique Padlocks
I'm finding these old locks to be an interesting subject. Some of the very early ones I looked at are so, beautifully made. I see allot of locks when I'm hunting the antique shops for lost and undiscovered treasures. I think I'll start taking a closer look at these old locks??.

Upvote 0
Whe I want to clean something small like that, I've had good luck putting it in rock tumbler with aquarium gravel and soap, just like cleaning coins.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back