✅ SOLVED How old is Grandpas ring find ??

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is Grandpa's ring find ??

I have this ring, my Grandpa found in around 1931 during the great depression. It was just before that time my Grandpa purchased a lot to build a house on when he saved up some money money. Well the crash of 1929 came and there went the idea of building a new house, so he used the vacant lot to plant a garden. As he was digging up the ground he turned up this ring. My mother who was seven at the time still recalls the excitement, of this treasure find so long ago. Even though selling this ring back in those days for a little cash sure would have helped my Grandpa as he worked odd jobs unloading barges on the Mississippi and helped Grandma do other folks laundry in Burlington, Iowa as he never had a steady full time job again for 5 years, he set this ring aside for for safe keeping and now it's with me along with the story. I am trying to determine when this ring was made? It is marked (18c 980) and I believe the 5 diamonds are known as old European cut from what I compared online, but I could be wrong as I'm no diamond expert.

Attachments

• grandad ring 1.jpg
    grandad ring 1.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 184
  • grandad ring 2.jpg
    grandad ring 2.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 195
  • grandad ring 3.jpg
    grandad ring 3.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
That would be the size in kilobytes of the image of the ring on that website.
Well thats what I was thinking, but why was it in the text like that. That's solved. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey tamrock!! Really Nice Ring and Story!! Hope you're well and it's warming up!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Upvote 0
I have this ring, my Grandpa found in around 1931 during the great depression. It was just before that time my Grandpa purchased a lot to build a house on when he saved up some money money. Well the crash of 1929 came and there went the idea of building a new house, so he used the vacant lot to plant a garden. As he was digging up the ground he turned up this ring. My mother who was seven at the time still recalls the excitement, of this treasure find so long ago. Even though selling this ring back in those days for a little cash sure would have helped my Grandpa as he worked odd jobs unloading barges on the Mississippi and helped Grandma do other folks laundry in Burlington, Iowa as he never had a steady full time job again for 5 years, he set this ring aside for for safe keeping and now it's with me along with the story. I am trying to determine when this ring was made? It is marked (18c 980) and I believe the 5 diamonds are known as old European cut from what I compared online, but I could be wrong as I'm no diamond expert.

What a great family heirloom. Hard work during the depression allowed this to stay in the family. Great Story

Upvote 0
Hey tamrock!! Really Nice Ring and Story!! Hope you're well and it's warming up!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
Weather lady says it'll be a high of 68 to 70 today. I am well. How you felling?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking 1880's, 18 Carat gold ring. I'm happy he did not sell it and kept it in the family, I would rather have a nice ring to enjoy than a small amount of cash.

Upvote 0
What a beautiful ring ! I love the story that goes with it too. Good job with the ID cw0909.
I see you live in France also Taltahull, My grandpa who found this ring went to France. The first picture was he (2nd from the left) in France there to fight the Germans. Unlike my dad who never talked about his time in Korea, Grandpa told me the stories about his visit to France and fighting in the trenches. I remember when I was little he'd bounce me on his knee and sing a song called "goober peas" I asked him why he sang that song and he said they'd sing it as a marching song when he was over in France. Looking in to that tune, it seems it's origins are from the civil war era and I can still in my mind hear him sing that song in a load bellowing voice. He was funny when he'd show me how the Germans marched with their Goose Step telling me the stories. He was a great story teller and funny to boot.

Attachments

• grandpa 1 in france.jpg
    grandpa 1 in france.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 87
  • grandpa 2 old.jpg
    grandpa 2 old.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 92
  • grandpa 3 helmet.jpg
    grandpa 3 helmet.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions