Honestly?!? Used for what?

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay everyone. I have seen a few smallll tips. But this one is crazy. Other than mice, (which I feel like they would have used sticks or rocks) what would these be used for?! Too small to be effective for fish and birds right?! Thoughts?

IMG_0304.JPG

Upvote 0
That’s a really cool point to bad its not complete , I think it’s actually just a true bird point or for smaller game ( rabbits, squirrels) I have found a few really small ones I may have one around the same size . What’s the length about half an inch ?

I have seen many bird tips of all sizes. But this is SO small. Look at the tip of your pointer finger and compare to the pic! I don’t see it being able to be hafted to a arrow of any kind?? Only thought was a little shishkabob spear for mice or gophers? I just don’t know. That is so small....

Awesome video. Very informative and eye opening. But the tip I am talking about is less than half the size of the smallest point in the video. I will try to find a pic of this point next to a ruler for comparison.

Little points like that were used on everything. Buffalo included.

Thousands of points that size and smaller have been found on buffalo kill sites in my region..... I'd guess it was a lot easier to slip a small point through a tough hide and between two rib bones than a big one.

How big of an un-treated hole in your heart, lung, liver or kidney etc. while you were being pursued would it take to end your life fairly quickly?

My thought is possibly for a child's bow and arrow set. The kids started using a bow at a very early age and bows and arrows would be made to their size. Used for lizzards, birds, mice and anything else to increase skill and put food in the pot. I dug several trash pits in a woodland camp many years ago and the amount of TINY animal bones was amazing.

Quito is spot on. They are arrow points and the one on your finger appears to be one of the desert side notched points and they make them smaller than that, Appears to be obsidian, are you out west?

Ya looks like a small desert point. Probably perfect for rabbit. Where are you located?

Look up Desert side notch artifacts, it will show the series of DSN. Some have 2 notches some have 3,real nice little points and fairly common in OR.

have seen, and picked up a lot of very small points. mostly in dry west tx. they used them, for sure

Too small to be effective for fish and birds right?! Thoughts?

These small points were effective on game up to 2000 pounds in weight (bison).

When hunting the American Bison, arrow points this small were used by Great Plains late prehistoric hunters on a regular basis.

Attachments

• PlainsArrowPts.jpg
    PlainsArrowPts.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 89
umm, they are perfect for bout anything we had running around when they were in use.

Wow that’s crazy. It’s so hard to imagine a tip that narrow and small hafted onto a full length arrow. And having harvested two buffalo myself I can’t imagine these small tips and limited powered bows being effective. But I don’t know anything! I get that they “could” have used them. I just feel there were better ways to harvest big game. So fascinating!!

Wow that’s crazy. It’s so hard to imagine a tip that narrow and small hafted onto a full length arrow. And having harvested two buffalo myself I can’t imagine these small tips and limited powered bows being effective. But I don’t know anything! I get that they “could” have used them. I just feel there were better ways to harvest big game. So fascinating!!

Well, they did pretty well - had large civilizations = until WE came along.

Well, they did pretty well - had large civilizations = until WE came along.

Oh no doubt they did well. I was just stating that I personally feel they had more effective ways of taking down big game. bigger broadheads. Thrusting Spears, atlatl’s, deadfalls etc.... that perhaps the tiny tips we see weren’t just used for big game. They are just so small! My imagination just can’t grasp them being hafted onto a full sized arrow and being shot at something of larger size. It’s crazy! Something that is less than half an inch long and pencil lead thin. Amazing

Oh no doubt they did well. I was just stating that I personally feel they had more effective ways of taking down big game. bigger broadheads. Thrusting Spears, atlatl’s, deadfalls etc.... that perhaps the tiny tips we see weren’t just used for big game. They are just so small! My imagination just can’t grasp them being hafted onto a full sized arrow and being shot at something of larger size. It’s crazy! Something that is less than half an inch long and pencil lead thin. Amazing[/QUOTT

You must not be a bow hunter.

With the 30 plus years of bow hunting experience I have, one thing I can tell you for sure is that the broad heads have done nothing but got smaller and more effective.

I have ave a feeling you as well as many others mistake a lot of knives for arrowheads.

Oh no doubt they did well. I was just stating that I personally feel they had more effective ways of taking down big game. bigger broadheads. Thrusting Spears, atlatl’s, deadfalls etc.... that perhaps the tiny tips we see weren’t just used for big game. They are just so small! My imagination just can’t grasp them being hafted onto a full sized arrow and being shot at something of larger size. It’s crazy! Something that is less than half an inch long and pencil lead thin. Amazing[/QUOTT

You must not be a bow hunter.

With the 30 plus years of bow hunting experience I have, one thing I can tell you for sure is that the broad heads have done nothing but got smaller and more effective.

I have ave a feeling you as well as many others mistake a lot of knives for arrowheads.

-On the contrary. I hunt with a traditional longbow with cedar arrows. With glue in insert. So my options of all the little upgraded tips isn’t there. That is when I’m not hunting with my atlatl.

Instead of assuming I don’t know what I’m talking about you could keep in mind this whole topic was things these tips “could” be used for.

Perhaps you could expound on your knife comment the end of your statement.

-Educate don’t undermine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back