Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen one before, might even have found one but I don't remember if it was mine or not? I got this one yesterday. It is just 2" long, 3/8" wide, the knob at the top only pulls out 5/16" the hole end shows a bar or ? inside. The bar on the side does not move and the hole at the top has another across from it just like that one. Made of copper. Hope the new pics help.

Attachments

• DSC07148.JPG
    DSC07148.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC07161.JPG
    DSC07161.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC07155.JPG
    DSC07155.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC07154.JPG
    DSC07154.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC07160.JPG
    DSC07160.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
It's a valve out of a trumpet or similar musical instrument.

Valve chem.jpg

:) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
can you take a picture of it next to a tape measure? and would also like to also see pic.s from the top and bottom. please..(not to mention the aerial photography).(ha ha)
Breezie. might be right but before i guess the pics, will confirm my suspicion...
owg..

Upvote 0
can you take a picture of it next to a tape measure? and would also like to also see pic.s from the top and bottom. please..(not to mention the aerial photography).(ha ha)
Breezie. might be right but before i guess the pics, will confirm my suspicion...
owg..

OWG, I'm right. :tongue3:

On a more serious 'note,' umpteen years ago, I used to play in a concert and marching band, and judging by this one pic, it looks like a valve from a valved instrument, eg. trumpet, keyed bugle, keyed trombone, baritone horn, etc. They work somewhat like a piston valve on a steam engine . . .hence the expression 'blowing hot air!'

Upvote 0
Just took one out of my trumpet and they a just like the ones breezie posted ,The knob or key does not move in the valve that whole assembly slides up and down in the bugle, its all one piece.
So I dont think its a horn valve. At least its not from a trumpet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok taz420..lets figure this out. breezie might be wrong..2 buckeyes can't be wrong..
i do agree it's a valve of some sort. but more and better pics. sure would be nice.
owg...

Upvote 0
Yes, 2 inches is small for a trumpet, but I still think it is a valve for a musical instrument. There are lots of horns/whistles that are smaller and would have smaller valves like this Pea Whistle used to call dogs when fox hunting. Tally-Ho :) Breezie

PeaWhistle.jpg

Upvote 0
My initial thinking upon viewing the photo was that it is a musical-instrument valve, due to the circular hole in the side, and the "floating" disc on a stem. But it didn't look quite like other musical-instrument valves I've seen, so I temporarily set that ID aside.

There is one other object I've seen which resembles this one. It is a tire pressure checking gauge. You push it onto your tire's air valve, and the little disc-on-a-stem will pop up/out a certain distance. You read the markings on the stem, which tell you the pounds of air-pressure. But if there are no such markings on this object's disc-stem, it's not an air-gauge, and I'll go back to thinking it is from a musical instrument.

Sidenote: The long narrow "ridge" (similar to an inkpen's pocket-clip) on the object's side is there for a "functional" purpose. Thus, it is relevant to the object's ID. I hope this one gets solved.

Upvote 0
fox hunting in vicksburg michigan??? tally-ho old chap..wolverine hunting maybe..

I guess the first sentence sorta sums it up. :laughing7: OWG, you know I'm poking at 'cha; I think you miss the popcorn!
DNR - Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes fulva)

There are so many types of whistles/smaller horns that uses valves. It could have come from any type of valved horn whistle; a boat whistle or even a factory steam whistle, but as stated above, we do need more photos and the exact measurement.

Another observation is it only has 1 hole; (as far as we know because we can't see the other side._ On a trumpet, they have various holes since there are 3 valves, thus the combination of those 3 valves, plus the holes make all the notes in the scale, plus sharps and flats. This valve looks to have only made 2 notes(1 open and 1 closed) since it only has 1 hole.

Pete, my best educated guess on the side piece would be to hold/lock it into place. A little WD-40 could loosen it enough to check out the movement.

Upvote 0
not to toot my own horn breezie but i just sat down to a big bowl of popcorn..
i'm just messing with ya..your probably right..i'm waiting to see this solved.
peace...owg..

Upvote 0
Don't think it is a musical valve. It is way smaller and my son has many brass wind instruments as he is a pro with them. Might be the tire gauge? Notice the raised grove on the side. Also there is another hole across from the one on the top. I will try to get some more pics.

Upvote 0
While you're getting the photos together, how about giving us the diameter. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
I'm going in another direction.....early grease gun...it all adds up for me...best guess tho

Upvote 0
is the raised part solid? it might be a key..ment to slide into another part? so it is always in the same position..
pics. please.
owg..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back