Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's to diggin' iffys and snow melt

Hey all, long time since my last post...This part of Indiana got seven inches of snow last week but yesterday and today got warm enough to melt it all and the ground is saturated and very easy to dig in, We get drought conditions in summer so I only dig the iffy signals in winter snow melt. I use a Garrett GTP 1350 and on the 12th hit got the bing bing signal scanning east to west and the dink dink sound going north to south. That usually means big rusty junk or a good target next to a bad one. Dug out a 10 inch dia plug and this was in the bottom of the hole 4 inches down.

_DSC0031 (626x640).jpg

Couldn't believe it, the rim of a big silver coin in the middle of a old rusty beer can top. Pulled out a 34s Walking Liberty Half.(might be a D), Worn but very welcome. My first silver of 2016. It has a black band where the edge of the rusty can was laying on it...This is the oldest park here and said to be hunted out since the 80's. My favorite site for diggin' iffys after a snow melt...thanks for reading ...happy huntin' ya'll.

_DSC0026.JPG_DSC0027.JPG_DSC0028.JPG

Upvote 27
Thats awesome.... Thanks for sharing that story :thumbsup:

Sweet find no park is ever hunted out I find lots of coins at :hunted out parks' I like going when the ground is wet my detector seems to go deeper than usual.I found a 41 walking and a 43 coin with a swastika symbol on it haven't researched it yet. Great coin though

And that is why we dig those iffys nice work!!! Cant wait for my snow to melt

Interesting story and neat half dollar! From the looks of it, was likely lost much later than the 1930's due to the heavy wear, maybe dropped sometime in the 50's or even as late as the 60's. Regardless, it's a cool find indeed! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the BIG silver!

Luv seein BIG silvers coming out of our Indiana soil!!!!! CONGRATZ......

Hey Jerv3....I'm wondering that too, We used to have a detecting club here and they had meetings and club searches in this park. The beer can hid that coin all this time...Until this, my best find from this park was a 1901 Barber dime that was right below a folded up beaver tail pull tab. It gets old digging up junk but a cool find makes it worthwhile. It's something I just can't do in hot weather.

Last edited:
Iron can remnants and silver?? You did recheck that hole right? Awesome find

Yes! I dug out the rest of the rusty can slaw and scanned with the pinpointer and detector. Something I always try to remember to do is stick the pinpointer to the bottom of every hole before I refill it because it gets a couple inches or so further into the ground than the detector's range....I have to admit I was hoping for some kind of cache in a rusted can, but no such luck...

Last edited:
Interesting story and neat half dollar! From the looks of it, was likely lost much later than the 1930's due to the heavy wear, maybe dropped sometime in the 50's or even as late as the 60's. Regardless, it's a cool find indeed! :thumbsup:

Yep, I remember spending these halves as a kid in the early 60s...But in '65 when the clad was introduced the Walkers disappeared quickly. I grew up playing in this park, that always makes me wonder how many coins i have found that I lost myself,

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back