Here is one for you folks that like a challenge

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who knows...maybe someone will know right away what it is...but personally, I have absolutely no clue. I found this on a site that has relics ranging from 1810-1890 (so far)...seems to be made of copper or brass!? One of the joints is iron as you can see by the rusting. When I first pulled the edge out of the ground, I thought it was a hammer from a rifle of some sort...then I saw the pipe/tube like object attached...and I am lost now. The piece with the pick-like end rocks back and forth...and I think perhaps the other joint was moveable prior to it's rusting. It measures just shy of 2.5" long and about 1.5" high. Anyone!?!?

Attachments

• DSC05592.JPG
    DSC05592.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • DSC05593.JPG
    DSC05593.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • DSC05594.JPG
    DSC05594.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,265
Thinking aloud....

It piveted in two places.

I wonder if the spikked end went into a series of holes which held the mechanism at various angles depending which hole you placed it in??

Upvote 0
I keep getting the idea there was a bell on the bolt/nut end that would ring when you open a door etc. I guess the deciding factor will be what is that material still sandwitched between the nut and the shaft made of?

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,171
Upvote 0
relic lover said:
I keep getting the idea there was a bell on the bolt/nut end that would ring when you open a door etc. I guess the deciding factor will be what is that material still sandwitched between the nut and the shaft made of?
I believe it is an outside of bell dinger also.....butler bell ???

Upvote 0
I have no idea. What I do notice is that you are in Canada with a standard tape measure. I also notice that it has the fractions printed on the tape. No one does that here and it is our system. Unless the new tapes are all like that. I haven't bought one in a long long time though. GL with that piece.

It really appears to me to be some sort of catch. The widened ornate end would have had a spring under it and the narrow pointy end would have been pushed forward to catch an object. Much the same way the spring catch works on a sheet music stand. Just a guess.

Laater...

Upvote 0
That's a toughy wess-

I found a piece almost indentical to it a few yrs back and could never figure out what it was-

the only difference was - the main arm was a flatter piece than yours has and there was also more to it than yours -

I found it in an old area of town where they tore down and old building-

good luck finding out what it is~

HH

Upvote 0
Looks like a gate hook to me? When the gate closes it hits the back that trips it open and when it hits the latch it falls shut? Just a guess. Monty

Upvote 0
Shutter Dawg ;)Shutter Dawg :P Shutter Dawg :-*Shutter Dawg :PShutter Dawg ;)

Upvote 0
Michelle said:
Shutter Dawg ;)Shutter Dawg :P Shutter Dawg :-*Shutter Dawg :PShutter Dawg ;)

Word? HAHAH

Thanks for the replies folks...I don't feel any more intelligent that before however ;D

Upvote 0
Door stop with hook...

hag-256w-us26d-thumb.jpg

Sorta like this one...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I think Michelle is dead-on...although I've never heard it called a shutter "dog". I am stationed in Europe and most of the houses have window shutters...when the shutters are open they are held open by decorative catches similar to the one in the photo.

Happy hunting to all and to all a gute Nacht

Batch

Upvote 0
Okay how about a drapery holder.......hmmmmsay Victorian....hmmmmm.....1800's.....????Dont give up on our "uneducated guesses" We have been know to get a few right!

Upvote 0
Boy at first glance I thought, why that looks like a "set gun" - one of those dangerous contraptions (now illegal, just a collectors curiosity) of the good old days that could be set as a burglar alarm, to take fur-bearers etc - sort of like this one:
images%5C52951.jpg

or this one:
images%5C52715.jpg

but looking closer, it doesn't quite look like any set gun I have ever seen, I think Michelle has it right - a curtain holder.

Oroblanco

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back