Unidentified perfectly round rock with bumps.

Bassgod

Sep 25, 2024
Hi
My father found this strange round rock buried in soil when he was digging out a foundation in northwestern Oregon. The soil here is not very rocky- so pretty strange. The bumps are also weird. Ways maybe 15 to 20 lbs. anyone happen to know what it is? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
Upvote 14
I do not think it is a Thunder egg. Possible it is in the fossil family of Cretaceous. Hopefully a rock hound will chime in.
Cool rock lets get an I.D.. We have a great fossil a and rock forum on this site you might post it it there as well.
Thanks for sharing your unique find.
TnMtns

Very cool! :occasion14:

Interesting rock. Good luck on identifying it. Thanks for sharing.

Hi
My father found this strange round rock buried in soil when he was digging out a foundation in northwestern Oregon. The soil here is not very rocky- so pretty strange. The bumps are also weird. Ways maybe 15 to 20 lbs. anyone happen to know what it is? Thank you!
At first I thought it was a piece of coral but I soon realized it had to be the nest of some bug, bee or beetle that has left it behind.

Regards, Bob

Hi
It looks like a lump of concrete. I'm not seeing any fossils. Better pictures are required.

Hi
Pics of all sides with something next to it to judge size by, like a ruler, would be helpful. If the other side is flat it might be concrete as blauer said.

Mackaydon , I found one similar to yours except it was smaller in Dia. about 1 1/2 inch's and was split in half . the out side looked Grayish like your's and the middle had a black shaped heart ( I found this on Valentine's day at a club outting at a sand & gravel plant in a anceint Mississippi River channel 5 miles from the current river channel. about 2 hours after I found this rock I found the other half of it in that pile of rock. I still have it and it was identified as what you posted. Botryoidal Hematite I hope this was spelled correctly , I even have a hard time saying it correctly !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back