Hematite points....

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Fella that let me in a field yesterday showed me a hematite axe that he found in the 80s and it was flaked real nice...I was surprised to see flaking on a hematite pc as I never knew that they flaked it. I'm sure it must be rare to come across a pc like that....so got me wondering if any of you have any flaked hematite pcs/points? thats flaked

Upvote 0
I just got some nice colors in the mail today from him.

View attachment 714027

Yeah I sent him that stuff and all he sent me was a bunch of sea shells :laughing7:

Just kidding gatorboy sent me some really cool stuff from fla and my whole family enjoyed it very much :icon_thumright:

I would post a pic of the stuff but im cameraless right now .. I could hook up my scanner though ill try that later....

I got a flaked scraper made from the topic. Just flaked on the one side and I dont believe they ever finished it.

Attachments

• 100_2358.JPG
    100_2358.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 100
Where's the Reaper when we need him? I can't exactly recall what his position is on hematite artifacts but for the most part I think he "dislikes". However, I have seen many artifacts posted here that appear to be hematite. I've found two shelters that have what I think is hematite embedded in the walls. Whatever it is, tremendous effort has been extended to remove it. Could be a Native effort or historic man, I can't say for sure. The walls in both are chipped, chopped, hacked, busted and each has heavy smoke/fire damage right against the walls. These are the "blackest" shelters I've ever seen. There is little doubt that leaching ground water creates black staining in shelters that are composed of iron ore but it's foolish to deny the witness marks.

The artifacts in one of the shelters were of the Fort Ancient flint/chert type, no hematite. I really wanted to find a hematite artifact as they have eluded me thus far plus, I wanted to stand face to face with the Reaper. For what it's worth, I fear the Reaper....lol.

In terms of rarity.....Clovis or hematite? Call me crazy if you want but at this point I would favor a banner vote for a nice hematite artifact over Clovis.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back