Hematite points....

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Fella that let me in a field yesterday showed me a hematite axe that he found in the 80s and it was flaked real nice...I was surprised to see flaking on a hematite pc as I never knew that they flaked it. I'm sure it must be rare to come across a pc like that....so got me wondering if any of you have any flaked hematite pcs/points? thats flaked

Upvote 0
Not sure I've got a point made from it but will share this axe/celt I've got with ya.I'll look to see if I have a point that might pass:icon_scratch:.I wish I could find one made out of the gem stone form like the peices in my hand.8-)
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 116
What would you call this one?

View attachment 713880

Took a sec to realize I recognize that pc I was a little stumped when i found that pc and still not sure.....it feels like a blade but you know i cant recall checking it to see if it had edge wear confirming that notion. Most likely it was a preform small celt. If I remember right I posted that and The Reap gave me a good reply but I cant think what he said now maybe he said preform celt can't remember....maybe he'll see it here again show view how thin it is......how ya like the bit of that broken little celt...perfection.... aint it I hate finding them broke with perfect bits on them but i have many like that

Perform celt seems to fit..just wonder now how it broke in the middle..was it dug? Also that polished bit is awesome real shame it broke.

yeah that was dug but i didn't break it....i would say that its broken though not in the middle but near the very end of pc as a small celt would have been not so elongated.... my (small) celts are average 1 1/2 in by 1 1/2 inch

Not sure I've got a point made from it but will share this axe/celt I've got with ya.I'll look to see if I have a point that might pass:icon_scratch:.I wish I could find one made out of the gem stone form like the peices in my hand.8-)
Take Care,

Those gemstone pcs are very cool man...did you find those yourself? nice celt too

Those gemstone pcs are very cool man...did you find those yourself? nice celt too
Thanks Man,no I did not find them my dad was a big time gem collector.Something I never got into,& over the next few months I'll be having to study up on them as he left a large gem collection to me & my sister when he passed.Most aren't even mined anymore.That's what he liked best the very rare ones.
Take Care,

SOHIO , here's my hematite adze ,. Found Lyon Co. Iowa [N.W. corner]
When I first saw it ,I thought it to be just a small blade [apx 3 in] ,. when i picked it up , the heft of it made me take a good second look !!
Back home , my referance books didn't show or explaine this artifact very well ??Anyway ,.. this was the first artifact I posted here at T-net,.looking for answers . A good fellow from Missouri ,I beleive,. seemed to be in know on this subject . He answered with ,..as I remember ,.."Most , if not all small hematite adzes and celts show knapping scars to some dagree ,like mine some show better knapping ,.which just hasn't been ground ."

I also remember All-ATV found one a bit bigger then mine , just as nice ,.. also found in Iowa ,..

Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC05593crrs.jpg
    DSC05593crrs.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC05594crrs.jpg
    DSC05594crrs.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
SOHIO , here's my hematite adze ,. Found Lyon Co. Iowa [N.W. corner]
When I first saw it ,I thought it to be just a small blade [apx 3 in] ,. when i picked it up , the heft of it made me take a good second look !!
Back home , my referance books didn't show or explaine this artifact very well ??Anyway ,.. this was the firt artifact I posted here at T-net,.looking for answers . A good fellow from Missouri ,I beleive,. seemed to be in know on this subject . He answered with ,..as I remember ,.."Most , if not all small hematite adzes and celts show knapping scars to some dagree ,like mine some show better knapping ,.which just hasn't been ground yet ."

I also remember All-ATV found one a bit bigger then mine , just as nice ,.. also found in Iowa ,..

Blindpig

that there is a sweet pc thanks for showing how hematite was flaked, I feel kinda dumb to this ive been hunting a while and never come across any that seemed flaked although i had a pc that shows faint flaking on it I didnt notice until today.

Looks a little flaked there dont ya think...

ForumRunner_20121217_191647uu.png

It just seems funny to me that it never occurred to me that flaking hematite was a part of its manufacture, actually I never gave it any thought at all I just assumed they pecked and polished.

Yeah that piece has flaked edgework. Ya want it back?

lol no you keep it maybe ill find another one :icon_thumright:

I might want that sweet purple obsidian point back though what type ya think it is ? :laughing7:

What's up with that.... I didn't want to hurt your feelings but I'm getting the feeling its part of the Joke...it is in about four pieces.

lol it was in one pc when it left, i didnt wrap them up too swell did i i said I felt bad because im too greedy to let go of a full point so I knapped you one out of iron ore slag. But actually i knapped it about 5 years ago :laughing7: a feebled attempt and short lived hobby. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back