fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a thread in the Today's Finds forum that included 3 points found last Saturday. They were whole until Saturday evening, when I dropped and damaged all of them. I was told they were called snap base Kirks, but was later told that they were broken points. So, I am posting them here hoping to get a proper ID. They were not broken when I found them. The bases on all three are worked. I can't provide any more pictures right now as I have sent them to Dr. Gomer Pyles to be repaired.
20240622_194842.jpg
20240622_194859.jpg
20240622_195054.jpg
20240622_221548.jpg
20240624_201602.jpg

Upvote 5
Without the base, it’s difficult to determine what type of points they are. I’m sure your resto guy will ask you what type of point you want him to make. The stemmed point on the right will be an easy fix. That one is obvious. The other two would just be a guess. Restorations are usually done to the upper half in extreme cases. Tips and lower corners are what are restored most.

Boy those are nice
I’ve been finding the skunk. Them video guys are killing my spots
Bro the internet ruined everything its amazing and a curse all at the same time. I've been scuba diving the Oregon coast for 30 years spearing lingcod. Never used to see anybody out their. Now every Tom Dick and Harry are running around with snorkels and spears in their hands all because they saw a cool video on you know who tube. I got into this arrowhead stuff because I found a couple on my property. Off coarse than I jumped on the computer and I see all these videos (Don't get me wrong, their great to watch as well as informative) but when I saw that I thought yep that's going to ruin some good secret spots for someone. Anyway back to another vid lol!!

Without the base, it’s difficult to determine what type of points they are. I’m sure your resto guy will ask you what type of point you want him to make. The stemmed point on the right will be an easy fix. That one is obvious. The other two would just be a guess. Restorations are usually done to the upper half in extreme cases. Tips and lower corners are what are restored most.
The bases are there on all 3. They were not damaged when I dropped them. There is flaking all the way around all 3 points, so I don't understand it when you say "without the base".

The middle point in this picture is shown by itself after I dropped and broke it in two pieces. You can easily see it is worked all the way around. I guess it it now a "snapped tip" :laughing7:
View attachment 2156404
OK...
Todd basically said hard call because the bases are gone, You said they were all there which they are not. That is why I replied with my pic with callouts. The bases are busted off period. No purposely snapped bases on all three...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back