Help with these mystery tools?

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought these both at an estate sale, and since they were cool and $3 for the pair, I got them. The first one has the two metal blades in it, but I don't see exactly how they would cut anything. I have no idea what it could be. The second piece appears to be hand forged, but what it's for I also have no clue. The end looks like a file, but it expands into that weird sharp droop on the other side.
If anyone has any ideas, It would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2561[1].JPGIMG_2563[1].JPGIMG_2564[1].JPGIMG_2565[1].JPGIMG_2568[1].JPG

LOL there is a rock wall. Don't know why it's there. It won't go away.

Attachments

• IMG_2398[1].JPG
    IMG_2398[1].JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 145
Ear nibber for maker ears on livestock ? file looking tool maybe repurposed to sear the wound after marking of the ears ?

Upvote 0
Ear nibber for maker ears on livestock ? file looking tool maybe repurposed to sear the wound after marking of the ears ?

So a tool to attach tags or markers to cows?

Upvote 0
So a tool to attach tags or markers to cows?

I think he's thinking it's a livestock notching tool, in which the tool is used to cut notches in the ears of many different types of livestock, cattle, pigs, sheep goats, etc.

This method of marking your livestock in as far as I know is not as often used like it was in days of old, now tags and or tattoos are the most used methods instead.

fwa201432010401.jpg
13be49d510a8aaeb6d3ca4463d9a2742.jpg

That being said your tool looks nothing like any of the livestock notching tools I have ever seen.

Here's a link to what some of the notching tools look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vin...hUKEwiljJ-dw5TNAhUG8CYKHf3mBUQQsAQIGw#imgrc=_

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first one looks like a saw tooth setter, the second seems to be a babbitt bearing scraper.

Upvote 0
Kevlardini , what made,or how did the top bolt/screw, move from left to right

Screenshot 2016-06-06 at 11.24.40 PM.png

Upvote 0
Where is that wall

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Oh the rock wall! Sorry:laughing7: I found it back in some woods down the road from my house. I found it very interesting that there was a well worn path along the whole thing though, however, It seems it hasn't been traveled by many people today.

Upvote 0
Hey Kev. What kind of history in the area?

Upvote 0
I think he's thinking it's a livestock notching tool, in which the tool is used to cut notches in the ears of many different types of livestock, cattle, pigs, sheep goats, etc.

This method of marking your livestock in as far as I know is not as often used like it was in days of old, now tags and or tattoos are the most used methods instead.

fwa201432010401.jpg
13be49d510a8aaeb6d3ca4463d9a2742.jpg

That being said your tool looks nothing like any of the livestock notching tools I have ever seen.

Here's a link to what some of the notching tools look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vin...hUKEwiljJ-dw5TNAhUG8CYKHf3mBUQQsAQIGw#imgrc=_

OK! I see now. I think however it probably is something else because the blades are too thick to cut through ears.

Upvote 0
The first one looks like a saw tooth setter, the second seems to be a babbitt bearing scraper.

How exactly does a saw tooth setter work? I also looked up pictures, and they all seemed very different from mine. However, Babbitt bearing scraper, that is like a dead on match, unless someone else has another idea, I'd say it's that. It must have been an early one though being hand forged??

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Second tool is a bearing scraper.

OK good now that's two people that agree on a scraper. Thanks guys for that part!

Upvote 0
Hey Kev. What kind of history in the area?

Well, lets see. It is near a cellar hole that I just hunted dry. It's just back in the woods behind a new development. Maybe the trail back there used to be a carriage road?

Upvote 0
That wall is very interesting. I'll bet there are other old ruins around there somewhere as well. Assuming the wall is from antiquity.
The tools look like they might of been metal working tools but that's just a guess.

Upvote 0
The tools look like they were made in the 1800's to me. They remind me of tools for shoeing horses??

First off, I find this hilarious, yet awesome! I didn't even mean to post the picture of the wall, yet it turns out it's a good thing I did because it sounds like a special wall. I also feel like at least the second tool is 1800's. Hopefully we can find out!

Upvote 0
Kevlardini , what made,or how did the top bolt/screw, move from left to right

View attachment 1322509

Yeah that's the interesting thing. See the metal part rotates on the lower screw, and there is a slot in the top which allows it to be anchored down, but at the same time it can slide, allowing the metal pieces to snap up and down. If that makes sense?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back