Help with these mystery tools?

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought these both at an estate sale, and since they were cool and $3 for the pair, I got them. The first one has the two metal blades in it, but I don't see exactly how they would cut anything. I have no idea what it could be. The second piece appears to be hand forged, but what it's for I also have no clue. The end looks like a file, but it expands into that weird sharp droop on the other side.
If anyone has any ideas, It would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2561[1].JPGIMG_2563[1].JPGIMG_2564[1].JPGIMG_2565[1].JPGIMG_2568[1].JPG

LOL there is a rock wall. Don't know why it's there. It won't go away.

Attachments

• IMG_2398[1].JPG
    IMG_2398[1].JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 145
Yeah that's the interesting thing. See the metal part rotates on the lower screw, and there is a slot in the top which allows it to be anchored down, but at the same time it can slide, allowing the metal pieces to snap up and down. If that makes sense?

could we see the other side and the part that you say
is a a slot in the top which allows it to be anchored down
if it was for cutting,seems like it would have 2 handles for
squeezing and not a hammer like handle

Upvote 0
How exactly does a saw tooth setter work? I also looked up pictures, and they all seemed very different from mine. However, Babbitt bearing scraper, that is like a dead on match, unless someone else has another idea, I'd say it's that. It must have been an early one though being hand forged??

I know what you mean, you probably saw those squeeze type ones for handsaws, I'm thinking of something on the order of a crosscut saw. I'm a little leery about the handle being original though.

Upvote 0
Can we get pictures of other angles of the tool with wooden handle?Also something alongside it for a size reference.

Upvote 0
Random thought the wood handle tool could be a knife sharpener , not what said i my 1st comment but just a thought brain is fried

Upvote 0
Random thought the wood handle tool could be a knife sharpener , not what said i my 1st comment but just a thought brain is fried

Fried brains or not, you might be on to something there.

Upvote 0
What direction does the wall run. Was that tool found near it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The tools and wall were found completely separate.
As for the wall, it runs along a little pond. Not sure whether its North South or East West though.

Upvote 0
With what I'm talking about water is always involved

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I know what you mean, you probably saw those squeeze type ones for handsaws, I'm thinking of something on the order of a crosscut saw. I'm a little leery about the handle being original though.

Ok. Yeah I feel like though that the handle might have been added later by someone. I have a feeling there were more parts to it too.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's the interesting thing. See the metal part rotates on the lower screw, and there is a slot in the top which allows it to be anchored down, but at the same time it can slide, allowing the metal pieces to snap up and down. If that makes sense?

Any chance this is a can opener?
Manually-operated, of course.

Upvote 0
I agree with Releventchair. Looks like a masonry tool for pointing mortar between bricks. I've collected a couple of them to use in sculpting.

Upvote 0
could we see the other side and the part that you say
is a a slot in the top which allows it to be anchored down
if it was for cutting,seems like it would have 2 handles for
squeezing and not a hammer like handle

Ill try to get some pics really soon, maybe tonight.

Upvote 0
Any chance this is a can opener?
Manually-operated, of course.

I was hoping not. :laughing7: But some other people I knew suggested maybe it's that. I just don't see how it would operate around a can.???

Upvote 0
The off set iron tool is a little like a masonry jointer tool.

(Sandy Toes too) I see. It definitely could be a masonry jointer too. It has that same sloping look. If it was, do you think it was a homemade one made from an old file?

Upvote 0

That actually is a good guess. I could definitely see it possibly being a sharpener, maybe if not for a knife, something else?

Upvote 0
Here are some more pics. If you need more, just ask.
IMG_2587[1].JPGIMG_2588[1].JPGIMG_2589[1].JPGIMG_2590[1].JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back