Help with rockshelter dig.......

No I dont find bone here. It does look old though. The point I will take a guess for ya and it might be wrong but it looks like a Table Rock Point. If it is the time frame should fit seeing you find pottery says Late Archaic 4000-3000 B.P. That is the closest one to it I could find.

Wow, keep digging and find everything! Goodluck!

No I dont find bone here. It does look old though. The point I will take a guess for ya and it might be wrong but it looks like a Table Rock Point. If it is the time frame should fit seeing you find pottery says Late Archaic 4000-3000 B.P. That is the closest one to it I could find.
Thanks rock, thats great info on the point, I was really excited when we found it in the screen. Why did the polish bones anyway, I know they used sand or sandstone to do it? I might start a new thread.

Thought it interesting bone is intact. Besides being a medium to make tools ,needles,hooks,awls,buttons,handles and other uses. They could be cracked for marrow. May have been reserved for a project(s) or been something special.
Some cultures cleaned bones of relatives and had communal burials at intervals. Not up on origin of animal bone locations of what was in area but first guess was bear or pork femur.
Were it only intact bone on site there would seem to be a good reason. likely culture or purpose specific, an example being bear part in bark box in the north.

Last edited:
Thanks Rel.
In the only 2x2 hole that has been dug, it was the only whole bone left intact. Many, many crushed or broken ones, but for some reason this one was with it, polished and left intact. Bear or pork is very interesting...Thanks so much for your reply...
Thought it interesting bone is intact. Besides being a medium to make tools ,needles,hooks,awls,buttons,handles and other uses. They could be cracked for marrow. May have been reserved for a project(s) or been something special.
Some cultures cleaned bones of relatives and had communal burials at intervals. Not up on origin of animal bone locations of what was in area but first guess was bear or pork femur.
Were it only intact bone on site there would seem to be a good reason. likely culture or purpose specific, an example being bear part in bark box in the north.

Post some of the broken ones. They might actually be tools if they are long and not in tiny pieces.

Sounds good, rock...I will get them together and do that. Another question I have is, should I be keeping every bone frgament I find????? Even the small fragments might mean something later down the line, but there is a lot of them...???
Post some of the broken ones. They might actually be tools if they are long and not in tiny pieces.

Sounds good, rock...I will get them together and do that. Another question I have is, should I be keeping every bone frgament I find????? Even the small fragments might mean something later down the line, but there is a lot of them...???

well send Larson a PM on that he is the bone expert around here. He hunts a field that is loaded with bone artifacts. Let him know you are going to post them and he can look and tell you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back