Oct 27, 2010
charlestowne south carolina
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab ctx3030
garrett pin pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This item resembles a brass/copper clip? it has been stamped (first pic is back-2nd is the front) The item was found within inches from a couple .58 caliber civil war era "blob top" minnie balls!....
Its been soaking on/off now for a week and has cleaned up very well however the letters aren't coming through so good... They're easier seen in the pics rather than the naked eye... However the flower decoration has come out very beautiful
from the little that i can see thetop line says: (PAT JUN)?
bottom line says (517?)?

Any idea to what sort of clip this may be? Thanks in advance! There is also a trade mark tag i found at same site on this 'what is it' forum posted last night! Please check it out as well!

Attachments

• image-3440139268.jpg
    image-3440139268.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-784727183.jpg
    image-784727183.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2343934889.jpg
    image-2343934889.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image-236337392.jpg
    image-236337392.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
What's the patent date? I can't read it from the pics. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
BREEZIE! i wish it were that easy!! my eyes are burning from staring at it...
when i took these pics i was stunned to see #'s at the bottom of what i can only see was (P A T J U N) ?<----top line
(5 1 7 ​?)?<----bottom line: not even sure bout these #'s
.ive tried everything that i can and my iphone 4 takes the most legible pic of all my cameras and magnifying equip???!!! two illegible tags in one hunt is stressful! can you recommend a patent site maybe? my search engines are completely useless...surely theres patents i could home in on ...possibly? ...ive never worked with anything thats had patents lol...feel like a newby! I'm always looking for dates :)
one thing i forgot to leave out is that it is a stamped piece; back being first pic///2nd pic is front...thanx!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wrecker,I prolly offbase,but I gotta say....it looks like the reciever for a sachel(hand bag etc)string

Upvote 0
BREEZIE! i wish it were that easy!! my eyes are burning from staring at it...
when i took these pics i was stunned to see #'s at the bottom of what i can only see was (P A T J U N) ?<----top line
(5 1 7 ​?)?<----bottom line: not even sure bout these #'s
.ive tried everything that i can and my iphone 4 takes the most legible pic of all my cameras and magnifying equip???!!! two illegible tags in one hunt is stressful! can you recommend a patent site maybe? my search engines are completely useless...surely theres patents i could home in on ...possibly? ...ive never worked with anything thats had patents lol...feel like a newby! I'm always looking for dates :)
one thing i forgot to leave out is that it is a stamped piece; back being first pic///2nd pic is front...thanx!

On the side where the letters & numbers are raised, cover them with a piece of paper, and use the side of a pencil and get a tracing. If you have some carbon paper, you can rub that over the letters. Try to rub as flat as possible.

If that doesn't work, you can use some baby powder (or cooking flour) and rub that into the indented side of the letters/numbers.

I used Google patents.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
Hello Wrecker58, a little trick I learned- get a 2" to 3" GLASS magnifying glass and support it above the object so that it is in focus, now take your picture. I use a tripod with the camera-much steadier. You will be surprised at the detail you can pick out. Sometimes I have to play around with my lite source to get rid of glare in the pic.,HH...
PS breezie- hats off to you for the 'koolaid' fix to surfs' bloody parrot. I meant to leave this for you there- make sense? HH...

Upvote 0
Hi Wrecker;

I dug a similar item just south of you down here in Beaufort SC. The one I have has the following in the small box:

PAT JULY 6
1 8 7 5

I'm curious as to what these turn out to be also.

clip..JPG

Upvote 0
I can't find any pics of these but I think they are watch chain vest clips.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Nicely done Breezie! I would have never thought that.

It looks too flimsy to hold up those big, honkin' Victorian era frames...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Nicely done Breezie! I would have never thought that.

It looks too flimsy to hold up those big, honkin' Victorian era frames...

DCMatt

That's probably why the points that go into the wall are broken off, and also why these types of hangers don't seem to be made in this day and time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back