help with automax pinpointer

tjs5

Dec 29, 2008
i got an automax v4 pinpointer with my ace250, it goes of after turning up the sensitivity to a certain point. its a real bumer because with the sensitivity turned down it cant get a depth of more than half an inch. i heard that this has happened to other people and i think a guy just re soldered the wires and that it worked fine. i opened it up and everything looks fine but i know nothing about electonics. my friend has a solder gun so i guess i could re solder the wires. i dont know wht to do
thanks
tony

I own 2 of them and that's how they work. After all, it is a pinpointer--you don't want it to go off if your 8 inches away from metal. It's supposed to tell you when you are near a coin or ring.

yea but i mean it has to be like touching it
and why would they make so when you turn the sensitivity up more than half way if goes of even if its not near metal? ???
im pretty sure theirs something wrong with it
i see vids on youtube of people using them and its not like mine

First of all, the sensitivity control is to compensate for changes caused by a battery getting weaker; you wouldn't want a pinpointer that only worked properly with a new battery.
My 2 V4s work the same way; the sensitivity control is rotated (counter-clockwise) to about the 70% position until the alarm sounds, then you back off just a hair. If you are within about half an inch of a dime, it should sound. If you are close to a car, maybe 6 inches.
Again, you don't want a pinpointer to sound off when you are inches away from a target; that's what the metal locator is for.

There's a sensitivity screw somewhere near the clip as I remember. I have one somewhere that a Tnet member gave me. Check it out. Monty

If you take the belt clip off of the back of the unit you will find a set screw. I don't recall just what you do but play around with it. You will need a very small philips screwdriver. You could also call Kellyco. They should be able to talk you thru it. Make sure that your battery is fresh. I had problems with my first one and the problem was battery related.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back