Help needed on some tags and also a mysterious piece of lead

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One pic is of a few tags found on a site. The Chicago Varnish Company building in Chicago is now the Harey Carey Restaurant. What I want to find out is why these are called Pay Check? Also in that pic is a smaller unidentified tag and a piece of brass that I have found a bunch of on one sight, first thought they were cuff links, any ideas?
The mysterious piece of lead puzzles me. It was found on a site that dates between the 1840s and 1860s, pictured with a fatty. Any help on any of these items is appreciated!

102E2136_zpsqgcclc2o.jpg
102E2135_zps9z7rhntg.jpg

There is a chance that your lead item may be a weight out of a decoy. Sort of like this one.

Your tags are probably tool tags and the last item looks like an upholstery tack.

Upvote 0
I see other examples when I search "pay check tags". My guess is the tag is tied to an employee number and you would need to produce the tag in order to pick up your paycheck. A way to reduce giving the paycheck to the wrong employee. :dontknow: ever heard the saying " I'm just a number at this job" Been there and was a number once long ago. We simply called our brass tags "Your Brass"

Upvote 0
The nail with the octagonal head is for slate roofing and asbestos shingling

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The nail with the octagonal head is for slate roofing and asbestos shingling
Makes sense, the old house that was once there had a slate roof and burnt down, mystery solved, thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back