help me identify these "coins"

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what to call these, maybe tokens? Either way, they are curious and I need info. They were property of a wealthy Wisconsin politician whose partial estate was sold in auction. These pieces were apparently presented to him from the Australian and German governments. I believe both pieces to be pre 1970.

First off is a large Royal Australian Mint piece. It's approx 50mm in dia and weights 65g. Gold plated possibly?

ForumRunner_20121213_144728.png

ForumRunner_20121213_144728.png

ForumRunner_20121213_144527.png

The next is from Germany. It's marked 1000 at the bottom. It's about 25mm dia and weights 15g. Has an interesting blue and red luster on one side. Pure silver?

ForumRunner_20121213_145239.png

ForumRunner_20121213_145732.png

ForumRunner_20121213_145759.png

I don't know much about these but I am pretty certain the Australian token is not from before 1970 because that Parliament House was not finished being built until 1988 (started construction in the early 80's I believe). I have a hunch this may have been something to commemorate this building. The royal mint did make a commemorative 5 dollar coin with a VERY similar image...maybe this is the initial design or something!?!? The coin I'm talking about would have the words 5 dollars under the building on the bottom. Either way it's cool as hell!!!

As for the other one...I got nothing! :-)

Coin Town said:
I don't know much about these but I am pretty certain the Australian token is not from before 1970 because that Parliament House was not finished being built until 1988 (started construction in the early 80's I believe). I have a hunch this may have been something to commemorate this building. The royal mint did make a commemorative 5 dollar coin with a VERY similar image...maybe this is the initial design or something!?!? The coin I'm talking about would have the words 5 dollars under the building on the bottom. Either way it's cool as hell!!!

As for the other one...I got nothing! :-)

Actually I just realized this box is from the Royal Australian mint...but i don't recognize the "coin". I'm intrigued!

Here is the building I'm talking about...and the 5 dollar coin.

image-1212289.jpg

image-1278208753.jpg

Well, the plot thickens...

Not really sure what to make of the Australian coin. Totally thought it was just a silly commemorative coin but it may be more. I've found a 1988 Parliament $5 coin which is similar (throws my 1970 theory out the window). I originally thought the measurement of this coin was 50mm but after seeing the dia of the $5 coin it seems about right at 38.5mm. The kicker is the weight, mine is 65 grams and the $5 coin is only 28 grams. Below is a link to the ebay auction I found the info.
1988 $5 Proof Coin Royal Australian Mint | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
junkless said:
Well, the plot thickens...

Not really sure what to make of the Australian coin. Totally thought it was just a silly commemorative coin but it may be more. I've found a 1988 Parliament $5 coin which is similar (throws my 1970 theory out the window). I originally thought the measurement of this coin was 50mm but after seeing the dia of the $5 coin it seems about right at 38.5mm. The kicker is the weight, mine is 65 grams and the $5 coin is only 28 grams. Below is a link to the ebay auction I found the info.
1988 $5 Proof Coin Royal Australian Mint | eBay

Maybe it's made of solid GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDD!!! I'll try to help you research this thing...can I ask what you paid?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Coin Town! Didn't see your post before I posted my last comment. I was definitely misled regarding the 1970 assumption. I should know that it's better to form your own opinion from fact rather than word of mouth.
So, what I know is this is a similar design to the 1988 $5 coin. The reverse is different and the $5 symbol is missing. It's also 65grams versus the 28grams of the $5 coin.
Not sure what to make of it. All e-mails to the Royal Australian Mint have gone unanswered as well as the e-mails to the coin shops I've contacted in Australia. I guess I keep searching. I haven't even began to dig into the German one yet.

WOW, something seriously going on with my computer or TN. Not sure.

What I was trying to post was that I don't actually own the coins yet. A person I know has a good portion of this politicians estate which was purchased at an auction. This was included as well as paintings, furniture, and other things. He is asking 75$ which is based on absolutely nothing. He's done zero research and is more interested in the other items.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back