Help me identify please

ColeCoal

Jan 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
93AC8F2D-0D1E-4825-9235-FB06BFA2C58A.jpeg93AC8F2D-0D1E-4825-9235-FB06BFA2C58A.jpeg

Welcome to TNet, to get better help and or information, it would be helpful if you post more information on it. Such as......

Where found, state/country, mountains, water, farm etc.
Dimensions, weight and size.
Material made of.
Etc

Not trying to sound rude and if it sounds like it I apologize for it. Again welcome to TNet, we have some very knowledgeable people, given the needed background information on the item, they will give you a lot of ideas, information and suggestions on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problem at all thank you for the information.

Warren county NY in the Adirondack Mountains. Base of a mountain southeastern side. I have lots of specimens gathered from a nearby stream but this one was found in the woods. It appears to have portions that are magnetic, perhaps large crystallization, and rust like streaks. The specimen is roughly one foot by 6”. I need to weigh it on a scale still snd will post additional details and better images later in the day. I am guessing it weighs 20-25 pounds it’s pretty heavy.

I recently began collecting rocks from this area and to be honest I have researched as much as I could. I find rocks very interesting but I struggle with identification. I can say that the property itself has many Gnesis rocks and a great diversity of minerals due to the way the Adirondacks are formed (this is just from my novice research)

Thank you for any insight or guidance.

Upvote 0
Sulfides -arsenic trisulfide

Be careful as that rock appears to contain Orpiment. Do not store indoors. Handle with gloves. Use respirator when handling.

https://www.mindat.org/min-3021.html

Health Risks: Contains Arsenic - always wash hands after handling. Avoid inhaling dust when handling or breaking. Never lick or ingest.
Minedat specifically list your location where found as containing this mineral.

The good news is an indicator of gold and silver, maybe even in your rock. Do not heat to get metallic minerals out of rock as it will release poisonous gasses.

https://www.mindat.org/search.php?search=Warren+county+NY

These rocks were moved by glaciers so are not associated with local found strata, hence the rounded edges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Appears to be a rock...

Just kidding, I can't help with an ID but welcome to TNet!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back