🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Not a clue what this is but maybe Roman?

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024

Attachments

• IMG-20240625-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240625-WA0005.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20240625-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240625-WA0004.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20240625-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240625-WA0003.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20240625-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240625-WA0002.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 38
I cant say what your piece is exactly but it sure does remind me of something I've seen before.
What it does remind me of is the brass belt clip that is on a socket bayonet scabbard for muzzle load rifles.
There are numerous styles and the shape reminds me of the clip but theres no attachment points which is puzzling.
A screenshot and a pic of some of my found clips
Hopefully this is a place to start

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240625-192053_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240625-192053_Google.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240625-192337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240625-192337_Gallery.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 3
Here you go

Upvote 3
Here you go

Do the links work for you?
I get an error message.

Upvote 0
Upvote 1
I found this in pasture at a place that has only ever produced post medieval relics and coins.
The area isnt known for having any Roman form but I just can't help think it is Roman....something worn too but how and where again no clue.
Looks a LOT like a part of a Roman Fibula brooch, I would say defiantly Roman, but clean that dirt off and see what the design is on the side ?

Upvote 1
Looks a LOT like a part of a Roman Fibula brooch, I would say defiantly Roman, but clean that dirt off and see what the design is on the side ?
Having found a Fibula only a couple of months ago I have to say when this came up I my initial thoughts was something similar but obviously without a pin not an actual brooch.
Those fibula where worn with the pointy bit facing downward which is what this would do if it was somekind of a hanger.

Upvote 0
Having found a Fibula only a couple of months ago I have to say when this came up I my initial thoughts was something similar but obviously without a pin not an actual brooch.
Those fibula where worn with the pointy bit facing downward which is what this would do if it was somekind of a hanger.
Well, you can never tell what happened to something over the last 2500 years, so it was just a guise, but the design and metal and age looks a lot like the Roman stuff we used to dig in Spain, but it could be a little later,

Upvote 1
I found this in pasture at a place that has only ever produced post medieval relics and coins.
The area isnt known for having any Roman form but I just can't help think it is Roman....something worn too but how and where again no clue.
Plus where did you find this, as in WHAT country... because if the USA obviously it can't be Roman.. :dontknow:

Upvote 1
Plus where did you find this, as in WHAT country... because if the USA obviously it can't be Roman.. :dontknow:
Stranger things than that have been unearthed in the US.
Im in northern England.
As I say the area has no Roman form as in ive never heard of any Roman finds, there is no known Roman settlement near or ant Roman road.
But as youll know, these things aren't limited like that. I've had a couple of unexpected Roman coins come up in the past and a 2nd century dumb bell toggle that came up a mile or so from here.

Upvote 2
Stranger things than that have been unearthed in the US.
Im in northern England.
As I say the area has no Roman form as in ive never heard of any Roman finds, there is no known Roman settlement near or ant Roman road.
But as youll know, these things aren't limited like that. I've had a couple of unexpected Roman coins come up in the past and a 2nd century dumb bell toggle that came up a mile or so from here.
I can say that as far as coins, back in the day.. especially with Gold and Silver, it did not mater where it originally came from, people still used it as currency.. so they could have been several hundred years old and been traded around in someone's pocket change before being lost.. just like me finding a EURO coin in a playground here... coins moved around...

Upvote 1
I can say that as far as coins, back in the day.. especially with Gold and Silver, it did not mater where it originally came from, people still used it as currency.. so they could have been several hundred years old and been traded around in someone's pocket change before being lost.. just like me finding a EURO coin in a playground here... coins moved around...
Yes. I've had a few Nuremberg Jettons and a really nice 16th century Langduoc Jetton too. Widely circulated as currency across Europe

Upvote 2
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back