help ID a button

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
I found a small button today which I am trying to clean up, its a two piece and looks pretty old I can make out kansas city Mo and maybe (chaddock) or something like that, and on the front it looks like a state seal with two bears facing each other with a circle with something inside it between them. I tried taking pictures of it but they just dont turn out, if you can give me some help on this I would really appreciate it, its about 5/8's of a inch, and maybe had some gilt on it. Thanks JYD

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 391
It's not just A state seal--it's YOUR state seal!

As was said above, if the backmark ain't "Scovill" you should check the backmark to determine its age.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
It's not just A state seal--it's YOUR state seal!

As was said above, if the backmark ain't "Scovill" you should check the backmark to determine its age.

-Buckles
I kinda new that it was probably Mo state seal but I did not know how to go about researching it , as far as the backmark I am trying to find out what button manufacture was in Kansas city Mo. I havent found anything yet, the name looks like (chaddock), I can make out the Kansas city MO but not the name. Thanks for the help. JYD.

Upvote 0
JUNKYARD DOG said:
...the name looks like (chaddock), I can make out the Kansas city MO but not the name. Thanks for the help. JYD.
benedict?

Upvote 0
tried cleaning it up some more, now I am fairly sure that it sais (craddock) no chaddock. So if anyone has any info on craddock button back marks from kansas city, mo. I sure would like to hear from you. I have tried google, wikipe, and went to library but could not find anything on craddock buttons. THANKS ;D JYD

Upvote 0
I'm not finding that backmark... Is there any way you can post a close-up, non-blurry photo of the back of the button?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help BuckleBoy, I hope these pictures will help, its about the best I can do with my camera. Thanks again. JYD

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 333
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
Craddock & Co., Kansas City, Mo. Hubert M. Craddock was listed in 1889-90 as clothier at 195 James St.

Backmark was Craddock Co. Kansas City, Mo. It was found on Missouri - Alberts MO1; Kansas KS7A and West Virginia buttons EG9

Reference: American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon

Don

Upvote 0
I found a button yesterday similar to yours.
Thanks to Don in SJ for the Info on Craddock Co. buttons.
Here's the Pics:

Attachments

• P1200006.JPG
    P1200006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 215
  • P1200001.JPG
    P1200001.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
Heres what the Missouri State Seal button by Scoville looks like with the 2 bears for comparison.

Attachments

• Missouri State Seal.jpg
    Missouri State Seal.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back