Help? Cast iron pipe vent

H

Holly_squirrel

I know you guys will be able to answer this one.

image-3797947901.jpg

Dug it out of my front yard. My guess is, ithas something to do with a tractor, plumbing, or something else mundane... Lol. I never dig up anything interesting

image-741084574.jpg

image-2408478870.jpg

So what's it be?:)

looks interesting to me. A mystery to solve. You mean you don't find anything valuable, but you will with your persistence.

Upvote 0
To quote the great John Steinbeck " I like junk."
good luck on the i.d.

Upvote 0
Or interesting . Anything... Sure dint need to be valuable. A decorative Victorian lock, an old key, a belt buckle... Anything other than tractor parts , nuts and bolts, nails , and a broken peice of Some relic. I'm sure this thing has to do with an engine Or septic system . This area dates back as far as late 1600s ... Didnt anyone ever drop A coin around here, lol. Even modern money... I've found less than a dollar in coins... I think I need a break

Upvote 0
you must learn patience young padawan. ' the elephant walks slowly up the mountain, but the earth is patient'

Upvote 0
jeff-gordon said:
you must learn patience young padawan. ' the elephant walks slowly up the mountain, but the earth is patient'

I bet I got nearly 80-100 hours in... Maybe more.. This elephant is tired and the earth keeps spitting nails at me.. Lol

Upvote 0
Good one, but my guess is that one is a tractor wheel hub ( which if thrown would hurt more I'd guess)
Really though don't give up, the good stuff is out there hiding like a squatch.

Upvote 0
Do I see coarse threads on the inside? (3rd picture).
If I did, and I was to go out on a limb here, I'd guess the base to a gas street light. (but just a guess).
Maybe the threads would attach it to a lamp post.

Upvote 0
Holly,

I'm not sure what you have there, but I wanted to say don't give up, on some properties you have to get most of the trash out of the way before you start turning up the treasures!!!

I have hunted many areas where it seemed nothing was to be found but trash, but once I got most of the trash removed that was hiding the good stuff, little treasures started turning up, in the past people never took their trash to the dump because there wasn't a dump as we know them today, all of your household trash and broken machinery was just tossed aside and in some cases in a spot set aside on the property just for trash/junk, almost all properties with a long history such as your with have a lot of trash on it.

That being said one man's or woman's trash is another's treasure, so you may get a nice surprise and find a special treasure that was considered trash/junk by the person tossing it aside!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AUseeker.. Your right.. I just get on a kick and overdo something till I burn out... I try to find time everyday to do it.. Lol. Perhaps that is a bit much

Upvote 0
I would say a drain, it would have gone on the end of a cast iron pipe. Possibly a roof drain (common on flat roofs) or a small drain for storm water. Try an electrolysis dip (easy to do) and you will probably uncover more detail on it. Cool find either way!

Upvote 0
dieselram94 said:
I would say a drain, it would have gone on the end of a cast iron pipe. Possibly a roof drain (common on flat roofs) or a small drain for storm water. Try an electrolysis dip (easy to do) and you will probably uncover more detail on it. Cool find either way!

I thought of that too... I have been looking ... Can't find anything similar yet.

Upvote 0
What types of buildings were on the property?

Upvote 0
I agree with Jeff. Pretty sure it's the hub from a 12 spoke all metal wheel. Could have been on a wagon, cart, mowing machine, plow, etc. etc. thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I agree with Jeff. Pretty sure it's the hub from a 12 spoke all metal wheel. Could have been on a wagon, cart, mowing machine, plow, etc. etc. thanks for sharing.
This is a good possibility...

Upvote 0
could be, but I've never seen a roof drain with an open top

Upvote 0
I think a piece could be missing.

Upvote 0
here is an example of one although it is a different shape. But the idea is the same.
images

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back