Have you ever hunted private property without permission?

Here in TN they recently passed a law saying that YES, a homeowner now has the RIGHT to shoot someone on his PROPERTY,(Yard) not just inside the home...(i.e. castle doctrine,etc.) If you are out say mowing your grass and your carrying, and a little punk wanna be thug drives by and decides to stop for whatever reason & screw with you, and then when he steps foot on your property, and you feel threatened, then by all means, you are allowed to blow hi ass away in your YARD ! About time ....

I am not sure exactly how they changed the law here in MO but they did loosen up on being inside the home. I will have to look that up.

In 35 years I detected only ONE TIME on private property. I was deep in the woods and I figured no one would see me and I went beyond the no trespass signs. But that was in my younger years and I am older now and more respectfull of peoples property.

oldplacesnofinds said:
The areas I have never asked permission to hunt are churches, schools, parks or any government controlled property. I have never had a problem. Private property is different. No place is a guarantee on finding anything great so why risk it?
Actually churches are private property..they own the land and the buildings.
The reason has been stated on several dozen posts here..respect for the property,respect for your self and if you get busted it reflects on everyone in the hobby.....

I agree with teverly.

Just like soldiers in IRAQ, there was some that were very bad boys (Murder,Rape,etc)
Yall saw it all on the news when it happened... The actions of those few really gave the rest of us a bad reputation, all over the world !

So, please respect others private property, and if they say no (snobby or not), just go
elsewhere; Too simple.

Yes and a lot of churches will NOT give you permission to hunt, even if you offer to return any religious item you may find.

Some churches may offer to let you hunt....if you are a member of their congregation or promise to attend on Sunday....
You never know, may be worth a few Ahmens?!

If not, at least you get the benefit of God in your heart, even for a little while if you are not already a religious person.... ;-)

There was a story here in California were a young man was stealing Halloween decoration from someones property....Dead, shot on site.two teens killed stealling pot from property...dead by cops.The kid had a BB pistol.

scuffler said:
You cannot shoot someone for trespassing unless he enters your home, hence the castle doctrine not the yard doctrine. If you shoot someone for being on your land that is murder, plain and oh so simple, you will spend the rest of your life in prison.

Not really..if you feel your life was threatened then you have every right to defend yourself..and the castle doctrine does not just apply to your home....it allows you to pretect yourself or someone else if you feel your life or theres is in danger,and not just in your home..

mastereagle22 said:
Yes and a lot of churches will NOT give you permission to hunt, even if you offer to return any religious item you may find.

I have actually had pretty good luck with churches and picnic areas here in Ohio.Met some very friendly people also....just like tnet!!

There is a church way out in the country that has been there since 1898!! I really want to hunt it but I cannot find out who owns it. It is a small non-denom and they only hold services once a month. I have driven out there one Sunday but the preacher had taken vacation that week and there was no service. It is really small so I don't think very many people attend and I can find no local people that attend there, actually the closest house is A mile and a half away.

And no I won't just detect it because no one will know. I will be patient and eventually I will figure out a way to ask and hopefully get permission.

soar697877 said:
Some churches may offer to let you hunt....if you are a member of their congregation or promise to attend on Sunday....
You never know, may be worth a few Ahmens?!

If not, at least you get the benefit of God in your heart, even for a little while if you are not already a religious person.... ;-)

That is true...the Trustee of the church where we are Boy/Cub Scouts...because my son's were in scouting and I was a leader helped me in getting to detect this local church...besides the fact that he use to hunt this land many many moons ago as a metal detectorist...when the church owned alot more than what is has today!!! God rewarded me for being a "good girl" and not detecting on the church property and meeting the trustee who said, HAVE AT IT!!! Gonna' try to head out there for a bit tomorrow...wish me luck!!!

mastereagle22 said:
There is a church way out in the country that has been there since 1898!! I really want to hunt it but I cannot find out who owns it. It is a small non-denom and they only hold services once a month. I have driven out there one Sunday but the preacher had taken vacation that week and there was no service. It is really small so I don't think very many people attend and I can find no local people that attend there, actually the closest house is A mile and a half away.

And no I won't just detect it because no one will know. I will be patient and eventually I will figure out a way to ask and hopefully get permission.

Have you tried going to the local courthouse to look up deeds? That might help in finding someone to whom you may speak to about hunting the church property!

Mastereagle,
I usually try talking to the pastor 1st..then to one of the people that mows the grass....sometimes they post the pastors name and # on a sign at he church..
And who knows in the past there may have been a lot more locals that went there!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

I've never trespassed, but if my huntin' buddy (Rudy2003) tells me he's got a treasure chest buried in his back yard......I'm breaking the law !!! ;D ;D
Well, maybe not.....I think he might be a good shot !

Permission always,
Ima

Tempted Yes, but I am too honest of a person.

Think about it in general terms, What if someone came on your property and climbed your tree and was bird watching? You would probably think they were just a little nuts, or afraid they would fall out and sue you, or a hundred other things.

I would probably tell them no also, the reason being in a lot of cases we know we are good people, and we won't damage their property, and that we are careful, and if an accident happened we wouldn't blame them but our own stupid selves, but they don't know that we are strangers to them. They really don't know anything about our hobby in most cases, Its just easier to say no and be careful then yes and leave yourself open to all the what if(s).

Don't forget about the drunk guy that thinks....he lives with you.I called the cops though.

All I know is.... you can do what ever, I will call the cops.let them handle it... your tax well used, but if you enter or try to enter my house, it is all over with.

I can't help my natural instint to protect my love ones.Now your in my domain.

teverly said:
scuffler said:
You cannot shoot someone for trespassing unless he enters your home, hence the castle doctrine not the yard doctrine. If you shoot someone for being on your land that is murder, plain and oh so simple, you will spend the rest of your life in prison.

Not really..if you feel your life was threatened then you have every right to defend yourself..and the castle doctrine does not just apply to your home....it allows you to pretect yourself or someone else if you feel your life or theres is in danger,and not just in your home..
Unless you shoot him dead, other wise he can sue you.I think.

scuffler said:
How can the police justify taking your property, what has that got to do with the breaking of the law, what statute would justify the theft of your detector, Would they take your shovel too? how bout your car. Wonder if I would let them take my detector or defend my rights!

Same thing with a DUI or Drug Arrest!  They can take it and hold it as evidence.  Then if you are convicted of the crime, the judge will have the choice of what to do with it.  Are you gonna take the weapon away from the attacker that attacked you?  What does the weapon have to do with his actions? 

Go ahead and "defend your rights" and lets see how far you get LOL Sorry, but the police can take any property that is associated with a crime for evidence. This includes your detector and digging tools!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back