Hallmark on Spoon

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a spoon today at an old cellar hole. It's not in great shape and I wonder if it is steel or silver (it's pretty dirty!). It has some marks on the handle. To my untrained eye, it looks like:
a star, a lower case e, an "o" sitting on an "A", unknown blob?, H, F

Hallmark.jpg

I found a match for "HF" as HF (Rowlands & Frazer -Thomas Henry Frazer- [L] ) end 19th c./ beginning 20th c

but I have no clue what the other stuff means? Can anyone enlighten me?

NOTE: the picture is upside down. If I flip it over, the shadows don't look right! D'oh!

Thanks, Mike - that's the exact markings! I did some electrolysis on the spoon today and took a new picture.
It didn't stick to a refridgerator magnet (but it isn't a very strong magnet). Nickel silver from 1896 makes sense. That's probably the right time period for the place I found it.
The only marking that's questionable is the one just before the "HF". (a deer or horse, perhaps?)
CleanHallmark.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome :hello:

Technically its not a Hallmark which is a term reserved for Gold & Silver. Its a 'pretender', a fancy makers mark made to look similar to a Hallmark. Nickel silver or German Silver has no silver content, sometimes referred to as poor mans silver. So the once silver 'looking' piece with the at first glance; Hallmark may have fooled some people that you had good taste & money :wink: Or even fooled someone into paying too much for the goods.

Upvote 0
I agree Cru :icon_thumleft: I think it's pretty obvious, looking at the corrosion of the spoon,
that it isn't Silver, or better :'(
The important thing is, it's a piece of history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back