Don't you just hate it when...

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey hey diggers !
Dont you just hate it when you get to a new site and within the first 30 to 40 minutes realize that you are merely just the last person to hunt the site...not the first.
Tracked down land owners to over 200 acres and got the go ahead and wishes of luck.
Found the three sites that were clearly marked in the old atlas. Found that they were all clearly hunted...not to death but I showed up for final knockings.
The sites were easy to find too so I was surprised and relieved to find a few keepers.
The oldest site gave up one button, lucky for me it was a Royal Regiment of Artillery from 1812 era.
Next site was a bit better but thin finds again..ramrod guide and sawnut( 1850- 1900) along with a few rotted large cents 1860s- 1910 ( not shown).
Last one gave the silver...2x 10 cents 1956 and 57 and a silver thimble.
Too bad it was busted up it has a nice scene engraved .
But this place also had a pair of great buttons! I said many times before that railroad relics are one of favourite finds, but a pair of buttons was unbelievable.
The Boston & Maine Railroad flourished with passenger travel between 1840 and roughly 1940 and is no where near me. These buttons turned up a long way from home.
But they now have a really good home here with me now!

Until next time ....get a good night's sleep so you can get up early and be the first in the field....not the last.

Attachments

• 20241026_165630.jpg
    20241026_165630.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 5
I found out the old church site I got permission to do has been hunted since the 80s by people just sneaking on . But I still got a lot of goodies. My detector is better than the two knob 80 versions

Very nice finds - congrats !

Yes, being told right after you get permission to hunt a new site that ...
"You probably won't find anything because it's been hunted by a lot of other people in the past"
is really not what you want to hear !
But very often it's not true at all - we've all made great finds at the so called "Hunted Out Sites".

Good Luck on the return hunts !

Last edited:

"You probably won't find anything because it's been hunted by a lot of other people in the past"
But it's very often it's not true at all - we've all made great finds at so called "Hunted Out Sites".

Unless someone grided the entire site and has a good machine

But it's very often it's not true at all - we've all made great finds at the so called "Hunted Out Sites".

I keep finding stuff at hunted out sites

Unless someone grided the entire site and has a good machine
I agree with what your saying but keep in mind that just because someone has a top end detector ...
doesn't mean they are proficient with it - that takes many, many hours in the field.
Lot's people believe that by buying expensive machines they will find more.
Any detector is only as good as it's operator's skill level allows.
One of the golden rules in this hobby - "No site is ever completely hunted out".

Nice finds thanks for posting them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back