Gunpowder booby trap in money pit

S
Geez ... What a buzzkill. Lol

But I get you.

Let's face it. We are all all here AMUSING ourselves, so throwing out a new theory to debate seems like fun 😊. If it survives the first go around (no one comes up with ANY reason why THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE...) then the question for the "well seasoned" thread followers will be "how does this theory stack up against all the others?"

At least it's a cheap hobby.

U

But I get you.

Let's face it. We are all all here AMUSING ourselves, so throwing out a new theory to debate seems like fun 😊. If it survives the first go around (no one comes up with ANY reason why THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE...) then the question for the "well seasoned" thread followers will be "how does this theory stack up against all the others?"

Unlike a boat

But I get you.

Unlike a boat.

Please buzz away and by all means do continue. For its a forum for treasure legends is it not? And its your time to kill :icon_thumright:

It just my opinion. I wanted to believe in the story as I have a soft spot for all treasure legends Yet some times we all need to face reality. There is no point in debating how long is piece of string?

I see you full of enthusiasm like many come here obsessed with one topic. But Your cheap holiday could be even more exciting rather than trying to flog a dead horse. if you knew where to look.

Some times it the hardly noticed stories that leads to fascinating stories and some times the money ticket.

As for treasure legends being cheap holiday as a hobby? it maybe for some? But for others the boat will be a much cheaper option. Amigo.

Trust me on that one.

Crow
:laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:
S

Please buzz away and by all means do continue. For its a forum for treasure legends is it not? And its your time to kill :icon_thumright:

It just my opinion. I wanted to believe in the story as I have a soft spot for all treasure legends Yet some times we all need to face reality. There is no point in debating how long is piece of string?

I see you full of enthusiasm like many come here obsessed with one topic. But Your cheap holiday could be even more exciting rather than trying to flog a dead horse. if you knew where to look.

Some times it the hardly noticed stories that leads to fascinating stories and some times the money ticket.

As for treasure legends being cheap holiday as a hobby? it maybe for some? But for others the boat will be a much cheaper option. Amigo.

Trust me on that one.

Crow
:laughing7::laughing7:
I:m getting the impression you think I am obsessed with my theory. Nope.
At the end of the day, it will go on the pile even if it turns out to be the true story.
Gloom.
Doom.
But I can talk about other things.
Boats you say. Power boats, rowboats, sea boats, lake boats. Houseboats.
What's your favorite boat? The best boat you've ever owned? How long do you think it would take to sail from NYC to OI in a three-master?
You see?
No problem.

The impossible thing.
Remember how on an OI episode the Bros pulled out a whole bunch of wood which looked like ship's rigging from the MP?
It started me wondering where it came from.
There isn't any mention of encountering anything like this when the original three or Truro dug down, and there surely would be, yet the Bros pulled some out by digging deeper than the original level of the assumed ammo room.
So OK, it was in the MP shaft lower than the ammo room and became part of the underwater woodpile when the shaft collapsed.
Hold that thought.
There is/was a newspaper story about a driller for the Truro co wanting to set the record straight. He stated that after drilling through the bottom level of the assumed ammo room, they hit 7 ft of loose "disturbed" clay, THEN HARD PACKED "undisturbed" CLAY. This was a correction to the first story that Truro only went the 7 ft.
If there was a "clay plug" below the ammo room, how did the rigging get down there?

Rationalization to the rescue !!!
Between 1782 (the burial) and 1849 (the Truro auger finds the clay plug) there is 67 years.
Given that the MP is an actual sinkhole, the ground there is always changing, so let's assume a leakage carrying clay silt to under the ammo room builds up with the lower layer being compressed.

I owe n2mini an apology. I said that I saw an aerial photo of Dunfield's dig and described it as half a sphere with a flat bottom. In thinking about it, I realized that in that photo there was only one such "crater" high on that hillside, which means Dunfield hadn't got there yet (his excavation was downhill from that). So yeah, he could have dug 120 ft, just not in the MP.

Sorry.

I am still suspicious of the #1 photo, rock sizes don't track, bucket shadow missing top and cable, dark shadow typical of doubled negatives, and let's not forget that cute 3rd person on the platform (behind the bucket).

Time to put this thread to bed.

Whether you agree with my theory and/or the Adventures of Samuel Ball, I think you'll admit that...

I am a pretty good storyteller.

Or at least a legend in my own mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back