Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141014_162057.png
    ForumRunner_20141014_162057.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20141014_162108.png
    ForumRunner_20141014_162108.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
From the shape and smooth inside; I would say trigger guard. IMHO I think its from from a long gun (rifles, shotguns, etc)

nice find btw!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From the shape and smooth inside; I would say trigger guard. IMHO I think its from from a long gun (rifles, shotguns, etc)

nice find btw!:thumbsup:

Thanks B.Disco..Its hand made with that design..

Upvote 0
Sure looks like a very early trigger guard to me.

Upvote 0
Just found this on line..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141014_212915.png
    ForumRunner_20141014_212915.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Finally! A real gun part!

Here's the similar component off my fowler.

DSCN0051.jpg

Upvote 0
It's the bow section of a trigger guard. Most likely off of an early fowler. Nice find.

Upvote 0
Thanks B.Disco..Its hand made with that design..

From your location plus the design on it. I wouldn't dismiss it having relevance to the wars with the british or (depending where in PA you found it) the civil war. I found this description of an 1720's pistol

snaphance1.jpg

A VERY GOOD CENTRAL ITALIAN/BOLOGNESE
SNAPHANCE POCKET PISTOL, ca. 1720s:
In overall very good condition. The octagonal to round, Spanish made, unsighted, 5 1/8", iron .49 caliber, smoothbore barrel with an octagonal breech-section and a "wedding-band" transition: clearly marked with a "G. Fernandez" maker's mark and with several gold-inlayed markings, of classic Spanish form. Geromino Fernandez of Madrid, Spain was a well-recorded gunsmith who worked 1690-1727 (please see "Der Neue Stockel", vol. 1, pg. 365). Figured walnut fullstock with relief carvings around the barrel tang, the lock and along the forestock: some scattered handling marks and 85% finish. Lightly engraved and simply embossed brass hardware: the trigger-guard with floral-type forward finial and a working-life repair to its bow. The triangular sideplate with simple line-engraved borders and floral finials. Stirrup-type butt-cap with an embossed oval pommel. Baluster turned single ramrord/entry with a matching floral finial, en suite with the sideplate and rear finial of trigger-guard. Very fine quality Snaphance mechanism of classic chiseled and etched Italianate form. The scroll and floral etched lockplate with a sculpted and engraved, separate, sliding pan-cover. The relief-chiseled hammer with a finely embossed retaining screw and its original jaw and screws. Matching chiseled frizzen: the arm embossed with a relief-chiseled dog's head. Fine exterior surfaces, sharp contours and (65%) polish: will not hold on cock position. The barrel with sharp embossed fluting and generally smooth steel surfaces: some light scattered discoloration and fine pitting. Fine stock retains 85% of finish with some minor handling marks and minor shrinkage at the butt-cap and lock. The lockplate with sharp engraving and fine quality relief chiseled accents. The hardware with an untouched, deeply toned mustard age patina. Original, plain, wood ramrod. Overall length 10". (for similar examples, please see A. Gaibi: Armi Da Fuoco D'Italiane pl. 273 & .566) .

Heres the link Paul's Antique Arms & Armour--Flintlock Pistols

Will be keeping an eye on this thread :occasion14:

Regardless Great find!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went out today and found the other piece to it...How lucky...
Thanks George

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141019_204702.png
    ForumRunner_20141019_204702.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20141019_204716.png
    ForumRunner_20141019_204716.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
:occasion14:

lucky finding the rest!!!!

any more clues?