DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few odd things out in my old yard today where it wasn't frozen. This aluminum piece was about 3" deep and I thought I would wash it to see what it was. After I cleaned it up I noticed it looked like it was folded. I unfolded it and found what is in the second pic. The metal pieces were pretty deep and have no rust at all. They are about as heavy as lead but too hard to bend. I just don't know what they are. I found that newer penny where I thought I had dug all of the shallow targets up. It was just barely covered up by the grass. It's pretty easy to miss something and 1000 times easier to miss something 6" deep or deeper. I also included a couple of pics of icicles along the road.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 500
Wrights is a huge manufacturer of ribbon,bias tape ,sewing supplies,embroidery thread, etc .
Their bias tape,ribbon thread etc used to be banded by those little aluminum bands .
I think they began about 1897.

Upvote 0
Love those last 4 pics, natures wonderland

LOL as long as its not me standing there taking the pics :)

Upvote 0
YIKES! Those are some big icicles.

The aluminum ribbon wrapper/strap was something I used to see in my mother's stuff. I remember seeing them in the 1950s and 1960s although they might also be from the 1940s because my mom was pretty good about saving stuff.

The metal items that don't bend could still be lead. Have you tried to squeeze one with a pair of pliers or cut one with a knife or put an indentation into one with an icepick? If you can do any of those things, I'd say they are lead. Or sometimes burned aluminum forms odd shapes and becomes hard to bend, and it doesn't rust. But aluminum is lightweight, so that's something to consider, too.

It's pretty amazing what can be found in our own yards, huh?

Upvote 0
I tried scraping them and they are a lot harder than lead and it doesn't change the color much. They are pretty heavy for their size.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back