Greenhorn here (is this anything?)

Mojavehunter

Jun 7, 2024
Hello, Im new to this subject. Been searching for points on my land in Oregon. Is rock.jpgrock2.jpgthis anything??

Upvote 5
I’m not seeing a tool based on the photos you posted. The rock doesn’t appear to be very hard or flake very well. I’m no expert though.

I think it’s artifactual. In the second photo, that smooth patch on top is the cortex(outer weathered skin) of a pebble/cobble. It’s been flaked, or it was being reduced via flaking, from the original pebble or cobble, of which that patch is a remnant. Whether it was put to use, or the maker had not arrived at the finished product, I’m not sure. But the bottom side being un-flaked, maybe it’s a unifacial scraper. The flaking has resulted in a beveled leading edge, maybe a scraper.

I would say it's a scraper made in the field for a quick, one time job and disgarded. Not great material. But it is what was handy. Definitely worked. I agree with Creekside. Keep looking. Probably more around.

It's definitely been worked. Hard tell from the way you are holding it. Some close-up pictures with it laying flat from different angles would really help. Very nice work on it. Oregon is a great source of obsidian. Glass butte supplied half of the great basin with material. Good find.

The flakes are reduction flakes with secondary edge work applied. The first photo was like Creek said a piece they tested did not like and discarded. It appears to have a lot of silica in the rock ( little crystals) that would make it unfit for their use. They had better material available which you showed with your second post.
Happy Hunting
TnMtns.

Definitely is, obsidian is such a pretty material, I think you’ve got the eye, just need some confidence In Your own assessments

Flakes are a great sign, points are good but they can be anywhere. Flakes mean someone took some time there and maybe camped.

Since you're on your own property, if you find an area where you are finding pieces like this on a regular basis wouldn't hurt to do a little digging and screening. Might be surprised what you'd find.

Yeah I thought about that, I'm in the building process of my home and this last little piece I found just walking around the build site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back