🥇 BANNER Found...The Holy Grail!...on the second try

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jmastny78 and I headed back out to the old honey hole. The tear-out is progressing towards downtown. We spent a while exploring new territory with little luck. "If you can't find them where you are...go back to where you found them before...you're bound to have missed something." So I told Jer I was headed back to the church. I had gridded this patch of ground twice in the last two nights. We had found some older coins over the last two nights but I noticed we weren't finding any of the oddball coins (trimes, flying eagles, half-dimes, or any of those coins that seemed to circulate after the large cents). So I decided I was just going to dig everything.

Came across a signal in the foil range. The dirt had already been disturbed around the signal so it was obvious that the signal had been dug by someone previously. Yes, that someone would be me the night before. Obviously I gave up on the target figuring it wasn't worth my while. Well it was giving a signal between 42-46 on the ATPro. Same signal I got earlier this year when I dug up a three cent nickel. Poked around in the dirt a bit. Ah, a piece of foil. "Man that's a shiny piece of foil". Flipped it over and rubbed the dirt off of it.:BangHead: OH...MY...GOD! I recognize that bust!

080515GDF.jpg

$1 Gold Coin, Indian Princess Head, Small Head Variety(let me know if you disagree)...minted 1854-1856.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Unfortunately, or more interestingly, depending on your vantage point...it had been modified into a love token.

080515GDB.jpg

I raised my hands in victory as I walked towards Jmastny to show him. ...and received the "What did that ******* find now?" look.

I realize this has been modified into a love token and was probably worn around someone's neck for a number of years...but someone please assure me that I can now claim to be a member of the gold coin club...a membership I have aspired to for the last 20+ years. A lofty goal, if you're hunting in Michigan (and probably a number of other places).

080515Finds.jpg

Today's digs...

Love token crafted from a $1 Gold Coin (1854-1856)
1898 Barber dime
(2) Wheatbacks 1911, 1939

Upvote 86
Jmastny78 and I headed back out to the old honey hole. The tear-out is progressing towards downtown. We spent a while exploring new territory with little luck. "If you can't find them where you are...go back to where you found them before...you're bound to have missed something." So I told Jer I was headed back to the church. I had gridded this patch of ground twice in the last two nights. We had found some older coins over the last two nights but I noticed we weren't finding any of the oddball coins (trimes, flying eagles, half-dimes, or any of those coins that seemed to circulate after the large cents). So I decided I was just going to dig everything.

Came across a signal in the foil range. The dirt had already been disturbed around the signal so it was obvious that the signal had been dug by someone previously. Yes, that someone would be me the night before. Obviously I gave up on the target figuring it wasn't worth my while. Well it was giving a signal between 42-46 on the ATPro. Same signal I got earlier this year when I dug up a three cent nickel. Poked around in the dirt a bit. Ah, a piece of foil. "Man that's a shiny piece of foil". Flipped it over and rubbed the dirt off of it.:BangHead: OH...MY...GOD! I recognize that bust!

View attachment 1196122

$1 Gold Coin, Indian Princess Head, Small Head Variety(let me know if you disagree)...minted 1854-1856.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Unfortunately, or more interestingly, depending on your vantage point...it had been modified into a love token.

View attachment 1196123

I raised my hands in victory as I walked towards Jmastny to show him. ...and received the "What did that ******* find now?" look.

I realize this has been modified into a love token and was probably worn around someone's neck for a number of years...but someone please assure me that I can now claim to be a member of the gold coin club...a membership I have aspired to for the last 20+ years. A lofty goal, if you're hunting in Michigan (and probably a number of other places).

View attachment 1196125

Today's digs...

Love token crafted from a $1 Gold Coin (1854-1856)
1898 Barber dime
(2) Wheatbacks 1911, 1939
Congrats! Yes, banner, don't see those often that is for sure. Glad you went back.

So happy for you! Still waiting to join the gold club and your post inspires me to keep digging those low tones on the old farms I hunt here in south central Michigan. Banner!

Congrats! Only thing better than a gold coin is one with an extremely personal story attached. I’m not initiated into the gold coin club meetings but I keep knocking on the door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back