Green glass lens??

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Angled base. Rounded base area. Torpedo shaped. No threading internal or external. IMG_0984.JPGIMG_0985.JPGIMG_0986.JPGLooks to have an area for a spring clip retainer to hold in place. Is too light a green for navigation lights. Possibly bicycle light lens?? 2.25 base. 2.25-3 in height

Unable to find anything. Help would be appreciated.

Yep. Telephone insulator.

telephone-insulators-25-unique-glass-insulators-ideas-on-pinterest-insulator-lights.jpg

Some lacked internal threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beat me too it insulater very nice for 5 bucks hard to find unbroke ones

Upvote 0
This isn't quite right ... can't put my finger on it ...

Pintype, Strain, and Threadless are all terms used with insulators, but I'm unable to find this piece in the book or on the net.

The "new" look and odd style might suggest "commemorative" collector insulator, but I can't find that either.

I hope someone can match this thing up because it is curious.

Upvote 0
Very nice find congrats!

The threaded type screwed down on a wooden fixture called a pin. In my town when I was a teenager the locust pin factory sat across a 4 lane street and a large parking lot from the Drug Fair store. My mom dad and I went in there one night for milk shakes and in the time we were there the pin factory caught fire and was burning so hot that on the walk at Drug Fair it felt like your face was going to burn. That's about 200 yds away. The fire dept couldn't get close enough to spray water on it and the next morning there was nothing there but white ashes.

So they built a new fire dept on the site. Poetic justice!

Upvote 0
All that I've ever seen were molded to have a way to tie or secure the wire to the insulator. Also, that groove ain't right.
Looks like it was made for a wire bail to seal it to something. I see you're by the water, a bow light lens maybe?
My money is on something nautical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not an insulator in my opinion, it lacks the necessary grooves for the wire and such. It's most likely a lense for a light where the one groove it has was how it was kept in its housing

Upvote 0
I’ve collected insulators all my life and I’ve never seen that one, the shape and clarity of the glass tells me its foreign, and I know that foreign insulators haven’t been completely cataloged yet.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is an insulator, almost all have threading, which the OP's doesn't have. Normally they are not teardrop shaped and have a base at a slanted angle either. The grove on top makes it look like it was held down at some point by something though.

Upvote 0
All that I've ever seen were molded to have a way to tie or secure the wire to the insulator. Also, that groove ain't right.
Looks like it was made for a wire bail to seal it to something. I see you're by the water, a bow light lens maybe?
My money is on something nautical.

Possible, but bow lights are designed to be seen from head on to just abaft of abeam (112.5 degrees from bow-on view). Pretty heavy bit of glass just to be a lens. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I am thinking it is too light of green for a light to shine through for a nautical purpose. How about a bicycle, motorcycle, or airplane?

Upvote 0
I have seen similar light covers for both boats and aircraft, although none modern. The part that puzzles me is the lack of a retaining collar, although the groove in the top may serve that purpose using a bail, rather than a collar. I could not find the same model online using several search parameters, but that is not surprising, due to the many thousands of specific light covers made over the decades.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0
I am thinking it is too light of green for a light to shine through for a nautical purpose. How about a bicycle, motorcycle, or airplane?

Agree - Navigation light lens. According to the OP it's about the size of a shot glass. Too small to be an insulator.

These are made by Grimes for a fabric wing aircraft.

nav lights.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back