Grandma’s gold

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in 1926 my grandmother, grandfather and father immigrated to the US from post WWI Germany and settled in northern New Jersey. My grandfather was a veteran of the Kaiser’s horse drawn artillery and took up stone masonry as a trade here in the states. My grandmother had another child after moving here (my aunt Helen) and they started
To carve out their American dream. In 1930, my grandfather was working in New York City on a sky scraper construction project when he fell to his death. This obviously shattered my grandmother leaving her to save as much money (in cash) as she possible could. She often thought of life in post war Germany and how the inflation completely destroyed the economy and how hard it made every day life. When she passed away in 1982 she left my dad some coins. Before my dad’s passing in 2016 he left them to my oldest brother and he just tossed them in a basket in his kitchen were I have seen them languishing with sun glasses, car keys and old books of matches. Anyway, on my birthday last month, he asked if I needed anything and I asked if I could buy one of the coins from him, he said “ you can have them”😉👍🏻 And he mailed them up to me along with a two cent piece and a large cent that have been missing from my collection since my folks move to Florida in the early 1990’s.
Thought maybe some of you would like to see them, I wish I could dig some just like them.
Be safe

Attachments

• CBF35408-1C36-41DE-AF21-ECDEC6C960BE.jpeg
    CBF35408-1C36-41DE-AF21-ECDEC6C960BE.jpeg
    684.7 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 65
Congrats on the great inheritance Joe...I've found 2 of the 4 coins you've got but yet to find a gold coin in 40 years of metal detecting....still looking though!!

Thanks for the story of your inheritance, Joe. And the story of the coins, as well. Much history in a few well-chosen words.

Congrats on the great inheritance Joe...I've found 2 of the 4 coins you've got but yet to find a gold coin in 40 years of metal detecting....still looking though!!
A two cent piece is very high on my list!!!

Awesome coins, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Great story and sweet coin.s..really like those two indian head one.s.

Nice Half and quarter eagles. Almost 1K Right there. The two cent piece has a very weakly struck we in the ribbon. Was there some type of variety for this die strike? I don't remember but there is something about the ribbon that makes for an unusual die variety. Someone knows they will chime in? Cool stuff Keep them around and safer than a fruit bowl.
Cheers

Love it. I had a $5 gold indian chilling somewhere at my parent's house that I bought in high school. It'll turn up one day. Love the family connection to those great coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back